No announcement yet.

The Guardian: Jesus used Cannabis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There appears to be disagreement about the term, it could mean cinnamon. But the OT hebrews claimed the annointing process (basicly coated in the oil) gave one more spiritual sensitivity. That sounds like a drug to me

Comment

IIRC anointing oil was used for new kings. The NT has somebody put ointment on JC to make the point that hes Moshiach - annointed one - king of Israel. If that story is even true, im not sure that the NT says it was the same substance as the oil used for kings. Also would there have been enoughl, assuming the claimed ingredient is cannabis, to have a significant effect applied externally?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"a) The anointing oil was made with spices totaling fifteen hundred Manah - plus one Hin (twelve Lugin) of oil.
        (b) Rebbi Yehudah maintains that they prepared the anointing Oil by boiling the spices directly in the olive oil. Rebbi Yossi objected on the grounds that so little oil would inevitably become absorbed in the vast quantity of spices, especially as the fire, the wood and the pot would also absorb some of it. (There was not even sufficient oil to *annoint* the spices, he argued, let alone to boil them in it!)

(c) The anointing Oil was used to anoint the Mishkan plus all its accessories, the Shulchan and the Menorah plus all their accessories, Aharon and his sons for the seven consecutive days of the Milu'im, all subsequent Kohanim Gedolim and some of the kings of Yehudah.

(d) According to Rebbi Yossi, the spices were placed in a large amount of water, the oil on top, and then they were boiled. In this way, the oil only adopted some of the fragrance of the spices."
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
          There appears to be disagreement about the term, it could mean cinnamon. But the OT hebrews claimed the annointing process (basicly coated in the oil) gave one more spiritual sensitivity. That sounds like a drug to me
          odd then that so many cohanim seem to have not been particularly spiritual.

and JC, if he was following the practice of Israelite kings, would have been annointed only once. Is there anything in Cannabis that continues to influence you for months after exposure?

Comment

"Fragrant Cane in Exodus 30:23
            Question

Dear Rabbi,

What is the fragrant cane (qaneh besem, kaneh bosm, kineboisin, etc) mentioned in Exodus 30:23? I understand that calamus was a mistranslation. Is it the lemon grass that I've been reading about or is it cannabis? Finally, were there prohibitionist laws against cannabis in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus?

Respectfully,

Gene

Answer

Dear Gene,

Yehudah Felix has written three books in Hebrew that relate to your questions: Biblical Vegetation published in 1957, Nature in the Biblical land, published in 1992, and Spice, Forest and Ornament Plants, published in 1997. "Kinamon" or "kinman bosem" is definitely cinnamon. It was originally used for perfume and incense and only began to be used as a spice in the Middle Ages. The tree it comes from is the cinnamonum zeylanium, which can be found in India or China. Felix, in Biblical Vegetation, writes that the Biblical kind was from China. In Spice, Forest and Ornament Plants, he says it's the Indian kind. In any case it is cinnamon. Kneh Bosem is an expensive fragrance imported from far away lands. It's apparently a tropical kind of plant. In Nature in the Biblical land, Felix writes that Kneh Bosem might come from East Africa. Other possibilities are:

1) Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, found near the Sea of Galilee;
            2) Cymbopogon Martini, found in India;
            3) Kalamos eodes, found near the Sea of Galilee;
            4) Acorus calamus, but the reeds are not hollow as a kaneh should be;
            5) Andropogon nardus, a fragant reed from India.

In all my research, I found no reference whatsoever to cannabis, and I don't know whether it existed in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus and whether there were prohibitionist laws.

Sincerely,

Rabbi Diana Villa"

Comment

Well, THC is deposited in your fat stores, so if you continuousy lose weight for months you'd have a slow trickle of it to your brain.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

More shocking then that JC used pot, is the claim that the Baal Shem Tov gained his mystical insights after hits to a water pipe, or something like that

Comment

long hair
                  made his own furniture
                  wore sandals
                  walked everywhere

sounds like a hippie to me
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Well, THC is deposited in your fat stores, so if you continuousy lose weight for months you'd have a slow trickle of it to your brain.

So that's what Sava's planning...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

odd then that so many cohanim seem to have not been particularly spiritual.

and JC, if he was following the practice of Israelite kings, would have been annointed only once. Is there anything in Cannabis that continues to influence you for months after exposure?
                      The fact that a bath was had only once in a few months may be part of it . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

So that's what Sava's planning...
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          long hair
                          made his own furniture
                          wore sandals
                          walked everywhere

sounds like a hippie to me
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                          X