The Guardian: Jesus used Cannabis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guardian: Jesus used Cannabis

This old article was posted on DU today.

Jesus 'healed using cannabis'

Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles
    Monday January 6, 2003
    The Guardian

Jesus w as almost certainly a cannabis user and an early proponent of the medicinal properties of the drug, according to a study of scriptural texts published this month. The study suggests that Jesus and his disciples used the drug to carry out miraculous healings.
    The anointing oil used by Jesus and his disciples contained an ingredient called kaneh-bosem which has since been identified as cannabis extract, according to an article by Chris Bennett in the drugs magazine, High Times, entitled Was Jesus a Stoner? The incense used by Jesus in ceremonies also contained a cannabis extract, suggests Mr Bennett, who quotes scholars to back his claims.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There can be little doubt about a role for cannabis in Judaic religion," Carl Ruck, professor of classical mythology at Boston University said.

Referring to the existence of cannabis in anointing oils used in ceremonies, he added: "Obviously the easy availability and long-established tradition of cannabis in early Judaism _ would inevitably have included it in the [Christian] mixtures."

Mr Bennett suggests those anointed with the oils used by Jesus were "literally drenched in this potent mixture _ Although most modern people choose to smoke or eat pot, when its active ingredients are transferred into an oil-based carrier, it can also be absorbed through the skin".

Quoting the New Testament, Mr Bennett argues that Jesus anointed his disciples with the oil and encouraged them to do the same with other followers. This could have been responsible for healing eye and skin diseases referred to in the Gospels.

"If cannabis was one of the main ingredients of the ancient anointing oil _ and receiving this oil is what made Jesus the Christ and his followers Christians, then persecuting those who use cannabis could be considered anti-Christ," Mr Bennett concludes.
    Jesus was almost certainly a cannabis user and an early proponent of the medicinal properties of the drug, according to a study of scriptural texts published this month. The study suggests that Jesus and his disciples used the drug to carry out miraculous healings.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What Would Jesus Smoke?

Comment

testing an idea for a smiley

edit: i can't get paint to save transparant gifs. apparently i can't draw a halo either.

edit: thanks! i put a beard in and made a cleaner shine around the halo. it's too small to be obvious enough to be funny, though.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mrmitchell; January 8, 2006, 15:25.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

You need a beard on that.

Comment

I suspect it's more likely that the person who wrote that used cannabis.

Comment

...according to an article by Chris Bennett in the drugs magazine, High Times

Bit of a give-away.

Comment

Will this be used in evidence in the Italian courtroom? "Of course Jesus existed, more than that, we can prove he was a stoner"
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

actually, it's generally accepted among historians that cannabis, alcohol, and other substances have been quite common historically in judaism and christianity...

at DePaul I took 2 classes where we discussed this topic in great detail...

I've even seen a few shows on the history channel about it
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think the Church should use this in that lawsuit in Italy where the plaintiff claims that Jesus did not exist.

I shudda have guessed this from the ol' Christmas song: "Angels We Have Heard on High."

Comment

I can't find the words to express how stupid this is.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

yes TLC...

despite what I said earlier, this particular article however, does seem pretty dumb
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          I suspect it's more likely that the person who wrote that used cannabis.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I shudda have guessed this from the ol' Christmas song: "Angels We Have Heard on High."

Zkribbler, Hero of the Day
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

That would help explain why he sounds so much like a hippie, even for now.

It would also explain why we see so much annointing with oil in the Bible.

How ironic, Bubba O'Reilly says Christians want drugs illegal.

Comment

Working...
                              X