Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football: VTech dismisses Marcus Vick!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football: VTech dismisses Marcus Vick!!

Virginia Tech showed some class and told Marcus Vick to take a hike today

Virginia Tech dismisses quarterback Vick from team

Jan. 6, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was dismissed from the team Friday, the result of numerous legal transgressions and his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Gator Bowl.

University president Charles Steger announced the dismissal on the same day that coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother in their Hampton Roads home, the school said. Beamer informed them of the decision during the meeting.

Vick, the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, was suspended from school in 2004 for several legal problems. The junior came under new and intense scrutiny this week after replays showed he stomped on the left calf of Louisville All-American defensive end Elvis Dumervil during the Jan. 2 bowl.

No penalty was called on the play and Vick claimed its was accidental. He further hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, but the Louisville player said no such apology was ever offered.

On Friday, it was revealed that Vick had been stopped for speeding and driving with a revoked or suspended license in Hampton on Dec. 17. Vick's license had been taken away last year when he was cited for reckless driving and marijuana possession in New Kent County.

Steger suspended Vick from school at that time, and warned that any additional problems would effectively end his time as a member of the Hokies' football team.

"The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university and readmitted him in January 2005, with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team," Steger said Friday.

Beamer said in a statement that he was disappointed with the outcome.

"I'm very disappointed that this didn't have a better ending," Beamer said in a statement. "We wanted what's best for this football team and Marcus. I certainly wish him the best."

School officials said in a statement that there would be no further comment until a news conference on Saturday. Beamer, Steger and athletic director Jim Weaver, who said the stomping embarrassed the university, were all expected to attend.
    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Marcus Vick... the Steve Howe of Hokie football.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

What a waste of talent.

OTOH, if I'm reading that passage correctly, he should have been kicked out pre-gator bowl due to the arrest on 12/17. Nice that VT squeezed one more win out of him before dumping him.

Comment

Apparently VTech's position is that they didn't know about the arrest until Friday, when the Commonwealth of Virginia actually reported it.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

their justice system must move very slowly then.

Should they forfeit the win?

Comment

Naw, of course not. I'm sure Florida State had people with far longer rap sheets playing against Penn State .

Comment

I think VT aspires to be considered a better institution than FSU, that's just my impression from half way across the country. Their rep has taken a hit with this, and they need to send a message, IMHO.

Comment

I'm happy about all of this. I'm really not a Tech fan, as I'm about 75 miles north of there.

I'm heading through there Sunday though.
                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Excellent.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

So now he can eithier enter the NFL draf or sit out a year and return for his Senior season at another school, correct?

Somebody in the NFL will pick him up.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

He'll probably be picked up by some team hoping to play him a bit as backup to show some promise and then trade for more later.
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

Somebody in the NFL will pick him up.
                        Plato, sad but probaly will happen

I was reading the article at cnn.com and it said he was lieing when he said it was an accident, he also lied when he said he apologized to the all american from Louisville and then he made a comment he would just take it to the next level..

Im thinking that would be a timeout, since he is so immature

As long as pro teams continue to support these type people (Terrell Owens) then the problem wont be "a problem"

Gramps
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

How often must I repeat myself - I HATE reading my name in Poly thread titles.

Maybe my relatives over in Dixie shouldn't have owned slaves for that matter

Comment

I hadn't followed Marcus until this year, so can't say much about what happened before, except that I got a vague negative vibe from him. Certainly, his older brother seems to be relatively well-adjusted.

Was the stomp really that bad? I didn't see it.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yeah, it was. It wasn't that fast, but he was looking down as he did it and it was clearly intentional.

Comment

Working...
                              X