• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Desperate Houswives in the church!
    You likeed Desperate Housewives?

Die, traitor scum!
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

THAT was offensive to Christians?! I mean really, if anything it portrayed the priest very well and Jesus was by far portrayed as the "King of Kindness". Maybe they'd be offended by the Bishops having affairs and the Catholic priest having attachments to the mafia, but Jesus was just as any fundy would want him to be! Hell, he even says that he talks to everyone... just some people chose not to listen. I think I've heard fundies say that before.
      Fundies were never hooked on the kind, forgiving side of Jesus. They prefer that of Revelation.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

A lot of the events had no background behind them that related to the rest of the show, like the mafia connections or the secretary pulling up during the funeral scene.

You don't think the mafia connection won't be important in the next show? And the secretary was important, of course. Why did you think it didn't relate to the rest of the story, when she was an integral part to discovering what Charlie had been doing... and perhaps she left with the cash (as we may speculate at the end).
        I know it'll all be important in the next show, and I know what it all means, but there's no reason it's there. It's unrealistic, and unlike a totally out there show like Arrested Development or the Harry Potter movies, I came to the show thinking it would at least make sense and be realistic. Most of the parts were good, but these few big scenes that were just thrown in and pushed the plot so much, didn't flow with the rest of the show.

I know the secretary was important, but why did she pull up at the funeral? Why did Jessie(? the wife's sister) start running after her? None of it had anything to do with the rest of the show.

Maybe the original script was longer and had all these little bits o' confusion fully written out and they had to be cut. Ideally they would have dropped one of the stories completely (like the gay son faking being straight, or the love triangle with the secretary, or marriage counseling). Maybe the show was just too crowded with ideas to fit everything in there and make it coherent.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Fundies were never hooked on the kind, forgiving side of Jesus. They prefer that of Revelation.
          there are lot sof different types of fundies

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I know the secretary was important, but why did she pull up at the funeral? Why did Jessie(? the wife's sister) start running after her? None of it had anything to do with the rest of the show.

Obviously she wanted to share her grief. It seemed like she thought the funeral would be done by the time she showed up. Jessie, in her emotional state, probably that that the secretary did it... until she heard her side of things.

And it was funny .

Maybe the show was just too crowded with ideas to fit everything in there and make it coherent.

Ok, I can agree with that. But then again, it was the premiere. When it goes into an hour show, they may cut down the plot threads in one show.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I was surprised that they put "Book of Daniel" in that slot. Wasn't "Joan of Arcadia" recently cancelled because drawing the desired teen - young adult crowd?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Well what do you expect? Did you hear Pat Robertson's latest? Evidently Ariel Sharon's massive stroke was God's retribution for his being soft on Palestinians and letting them have some of their land back. It seems that Sharon was messing with God's land.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Or ignore Jesus entirely and rant about how some line in JEWISH law is going to send a Christian to hell. Or, if you are of a Calvinist bent (like that fundy-nut DL that was around here not too long ago) you would bastardize what Jesus said to prove that material sucess is a sight of going to heaven and poverty as a sign of Damnation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Well what do you expect? Did you hear Pat Robertson's latest? Evidently Ariel Sharon's massive stroke was God's retribution for his being soft on Palestinians and letting them have some of their land back. It seems that Sharon was messing with God's land.
                    Of course. The fundies want Israel to bulldoze the Dome of the Rock and rebuild the Temple so Jebus comes down and raptures them.

Comment

• Isn't there a real-life equivalent for the phrase "don't feed the troll?"

Judging by the synopses I've read here and elsewhere, the show was probably designed to provoke a reaction from fundies, thereby attracting controversy-attention and keeping the show alive for a few weeks longer than its secular equivalent on Fox or wherever.

Not that I'd have expected any different reaction if I'd heard of the stupid show before two days ago; these folks are distressingly predictable. But by now, the general public should have learned to just ignore them until they go away. While they're at it, they should stop watching really crappy television too.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                      X