Spiffor goes to Mali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiffor goes to Mali

So, it's now definitive. I'm going to Mali in two weeks, for a duration of one week. I'll finally get to see the country of Mansa Musa, and admire the Commercial/Religious Financial-Spiritual Malinese at work

I'm going to Bamako for the World Social Forum, and I'll spend quite a few days discussing with people from all over the world (though expectably mostly from Mali, the rest of Africa, and Europe). After that, I should have a few free days, though I don't think I'll be able to visit Timbuktu or Djenné (my budget is already exhausted )

Anyone here in Bamako who'd like to have a mini 'Polymeet?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

There was a slim chance, in my imagination, that I might go to Mali during next summer. 2 things destroyed that plan:

1. Contrary to my first thought, I would have needed basic Baraba skills to do that language course there.

2. The world cup in Germany. I'm not going to go anywhere

Comment

Malinese Polymeet!
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

1. Contrary to my first thought, I would have needed basic Baraba skills to do that language course there.
        Bamako = French!

Well, local languages might be useful if you go to more remote parts of the country, but even then, Bambara won't always help (spoken by only 2/3 of the population)

2. The world cup in Germany. I'm not going to go anywhere
        So, you'll remain in Germany, with all the noise, the traffic jams, and all the dirty foreigners?
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Spifoooooor, you're living the Eurocommie dream, travelling around the world discussing all the great reasons why to hate America

Take a digital camera and take lots of photos for the DGSE Apolyton forum

Comment

We've all heard about the American Dream...what's the African Dream?
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Eating?

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Oh Mali, of course! A friend told me a few weeks ago that one of her housemates is from Mali, but she's Chinese so it sounded like "Mawi" and I had no idea where she meant. You'd have thought that the presence of the Malinese in Civ 4 would've made me realise, but no, I'm pretty stupid.

Wait, what was the point of the thread again?

Comment

Wait, what was the point of the thread again?
                  Tab's on me for whoever wants a beer in Bamako

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                    We've all heard about the American Dream...what's the African Dream?
                    Well, pretty much everybody at work (including the Malinese colleagues) can fathom only one reason for me to go there: that I want a black woman. I don't think they imagine any other positive reason why one would want to go there

Comment

Find any Skirmisher units?
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Look for gold
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My, that trip was fantastic. Much better than I expected

Basically, Bamako is a poor place (but where all modern facilities exist, if you can afford them), but there is a special something that greatly contributes to quality of life there: a very healthy and active social life. People talk spontaneously, make friends easily, and they make a great deal of effort to help those in need, and welcome their guests.

This has struck me as something extremely impressive. More later.

Comment

That must be why AIDS is spreading so quickly in Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                              That must be why AIDS is spreading so quickly in Africa
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X