Spiffor goes to Mali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King Fahd bridge? That King Fahd?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I suppose he has sponsoored the bridge. There is quite a bit of money that comes from Muslim fundraising. Also, Iran is a significant business partner (though Mali's main foreign investors are France, China and Lebanon).
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

A propos Mali and the Muslim world, I arrived during the Hajj, which meant that my plane (from Tunis) was full of pilgrims dressed in white. The plane was also full with huge luggage from Mecca, which is why my own luggage got lost during the transit (I had to buy my clothes upon arrival - I found my luggage 10 minutes before boarding the plane returning me to Paris).

I find it interesting that Bamako renamed its largest street, the Koulikouro road, into the Al Qods avenue (Koulikouro is a provincial town close to Bamako - Al Qods is the Arabic name of Jerusalem).
        If the commitment of Mali for the Palestinian cause wasn't clear anough, here is what you see whenever you enter the Al Qods avenue:

While I'm thinking about it, I mlight as well show how I look like with local clothes (I forgot to add that I didn't buy local socks - I kept the same socks during those 9 days. Even though my feet don't smell, I must still admit that it was a great pleasure to finally change socks, in Tunis Airbport before my final flight to Paris )
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Surely, not even in Bamako can a few extra pairs of socks cost anything to speak of?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Yes, but I forgot about them the day I did my shopping, and after that, my days were packed until the end of the trip.

Besides, until the two very last days (which weren't planned: I missed my plane on tuesday, and only came back on thursday), it was really not that bad. As said, my feet don't smell.

Comment

I hate you.

Comment

Looks like you had fun.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I kept the same socks during those 9 days.

That's ok, you smelled like the rest of the French
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    I kept the same socks during those 9 days.

That's ok, you smelled like the rest of the French
                    I spend hours scanning my pics and writing my posts, and this is the only matter you react to?

Comment

Sheesh, if I wore the same socks for 9 days, they'd smell like a gorgonzola factory
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You were in warm africa. Why wearing socks at all? Just bare feet in sandals would surely be enough?

In any case, the place looks much more greener then I expected, but I suppose that outside the city and river area things look dustier.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

It depends on the part of the country - I think the part to the south around Bamako is fairly fertile, it is the more Northern part that is desert...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            I spend hours scanning my pics and writing my posts, and this is the only matter you react to?
                            I'm American, it's ingrained .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                              You were in warm africa. Why wearing socks at all? Just bare feet in sandals would surely be enough?
                              Most of my friends did that, and their feet were waaay dirtier than mine. During the dry season, there's red dust everywhere in the city. Especially on the feet.

Comment

Sounds like Mars
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X