Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me, or are movies not funny anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT
    And how the hell Ben Stiller has a career as anything other than a small-town news reporter, I will never understand.
    He's the most talented 'straight man' + 'physical comedian' to hit Hollywood in a long time. Check out There's Something About Mary, or Meet the Parents for some good examples of this sort of work. He also works well with others, which means that it's a lot easier to sign other good comedic actors to films he is involved in. He needs to be careful not to overexpose himself in straight man roles (he got so many offers after Something About Mary) and has been doing pretty well in this regard recently by taking on wierd roles like in Zoolander and Dodgeball. I have liked almost all of his films.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Is it me, or are movies not funny anymore?

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Interesting. What exactly happens when you give your kid No-Doze?
      I would assume the same thing, only twice as fast. It'll be like watching a "Keystone Cops" reel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

He's the most talented 'straight man' + 'physical comedian' to hit Hollywood in a long time. Check out There's Something About Mary, or Meet the Parents for some good examples of this sort of work. He also works well with others, which means that it's a lot easier to sign other good comedic actors to films he is involved in. He needs to be careful not to overexpose himself in straight man roles (he got so many offers after Something About Mary) and has been doing pretty well in this regard recently by taking on wierd roles like in Zoolander and Dodgeball. I have liked almost all of his films.
        Precisely.

TSAM is the most overrated comedy of the past decade, and MTP was a pox upon the career of Robert De Niro. Not a single laugh to be had among the two of them.

Comment

Precisely.

TSAM is the most overrated comedy of the past decade, and MTP was a pox upon the career of Robert De Niro. Not a single laugh to be had among the two of them.
          We walked into TSAM without really knowing anything about it, and we along with the rest of the audience laughed long hard and often. While you might not have enjoyed the movie, it can hardly be overrated as so many intelligent people with taste people found it hilarious. A lot of the Farrely brothers stuff is mediocre or worse, but that film really worked for me.

MTP is far from De Niro's worst work, almost any of his other recent films qualify for that moreso, on so many levels. You obviously have poor taste and a sense of humor that needs some work.

Comment

Ahhhh. A personal insult in a movie thread. That's showin' me!

1. Because you laughed at SAM doesn't mean that I had to. You might not have noticed this, Sikander, but personal tastes in art forms are notoriously... personal.

2. I didn't say it was the worst film of De Niro's career, just that it was a bad one.

3. "Over-rated", by definition, means that I made a personal judgement that the praise levelled upon a film is without merit. You countering that a film isn't "overrated" because "many 'intelligent' people find it funny" is one of the more nonsensical posts we'll see on these forums today.

Of course there are people that like it. If there weren't, it couldn't be overrated, could it?

(Note the complete lack of insults from me towards you for your inability to understand the definition of this very basic word, "overrated.")

Comment

TSAM sucked. MTP was okay, in a stupid comedy way.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Ahhhh. A personal insult in a movie thread. That's showin' me!

1. Because you laughed at SAM doesn't mean that I had to. You might not have noticed this, Sikander, but personal tastes in art forms are notoriously... personal.

2. I didn't say it was the worst film of De Niro's career, just that it was a bad one.

3. "Over-rated", by definition, means that I made a personal judgement that the praise levelled upon a film is without merit. You countering that a film isn't "overrated" because "many 'intelligent' people find it funny" is one of the more nonsensical posts we'll see on these forums today.

Of course there are people that like it. If there weren't, it couldn't be overrated, could it?

(Note the complete lack of insults from me towards you for your inability to understand the definition of this very basic word, "overrated.")
                Your serious response to my troll shows that though I was kidding you about the quality of your sense of humor, perhaps it really isn't all that sharp.

Comment

Your serious response to my troll shows that though I was kidding you about the quality of your sense of humor, perhaps it really isn't all that sharp.

Ahhh, the typical "I was joking" defense. Coupled with yet another insult. Brilliant touch, that!

If it makes you feel any better about yourself, I accept.

Since we're all about personal improvement now, I suggest that your writing skills need some work, especially in the "humor" category.
                  Last edited by JohnT; January 4, 2006, 09:16.

Comment

Though it was quite obviously a troll, John .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, yes, after the poster declared it was.

Comment

Part of the problem is that more and more movie humor is "bathroom humor" instead of being clever. We get movies like American Pie, Dukes of Hazzard, Sex and the Teenage Mind, Dude where's my car, Not another teen movie, 40 days and 40 nights, etc that just go for the lame teen sex joke.
                        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Well, yes, after the poster declared it was.
                          If saying that makes you happy, go right ahead
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                            Part of the problem is that more and more movie humor is "bathroom humor" instead of being clever. We get movies like American Pie, Dukes of Hazzard, Sex and the Teenage Mind, Dude where's my car, Not another teen movie, 40 days and 40 nights, etc that just go for the lame teen sex joke.
                            I think someone missed the point of "Not Another Teen Movie".

And the first "American Pie" really was a pretty good movie.

Comment

Oh, what the hell. I brought my wading boots today... might as well use them.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

If saying that makes you happy, go right ahead
                              Nah, I just don't cotton to common rudeness made even more tacky by a denial of being rude followed by an insistence upon the "cluelessness" of the other poster for not getting the "joke".

Tragically, this sort of cowardly sniping is so common on the internet that it has actually become the norm rather than the exception, where even sober-minded professionals such as yourself find it acceptable.

And yes, it felt good saying that.

Comment

Sarcasm on the net is overrated.

Mr Sarcasm
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X