Ukraine energy crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Serb's article:

Yanukovych's party list includes, beside himself, Ukraine's richest oligarch, Rynat Akhmetov, twelve managers of companies united in Akhmetov's corporation, Capital System Management, four candidates associated with the Shakhtar Donetsk soccer club owned by Akhmetov, Yanukovych's son, his lawyer and press secretary.
    Nope! No more corruption here!
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb
      Remember what I've said one year ago when most of you creamed your pants about the orange victory?
      Sorry, no cream here.
      Besides, they have a better chance at having a good future than their largest neighbor.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
        Does anyone know how the energy in 1000m^3 compares with the energy in a barrel of oil? Energy-wise, how many barrels of oil equals 1000m^3 of gas? If it's more than 6 then natural gas would appear to be a terrific energy bargain.
        If I calculated correctly, it's about 5,89.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Besides, they have a better chance at having a good future than their largest neighbor.

I heard the same one year ago. WHERE is your God damn bright future? After one year of orange revolution Ukranian GDP growth dropped four times in comparison with 2004.
          Last edited by Serb; January 16, 2006, 17:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosh
            From Serb's article:

Nope! No more corruption here!
            Newsflash!!! Evil commies propaganda revealed:
            there are few rich folks in former Ukranian PM's party! On the contrary there are no tycoons in GWB's party! As his Majesty King George II said today during a phone talk with vice-president of Exxon Corporation: "This Ukranian dude is the evildoer, no doubt, 'cause he has some rich buddies. This is very, very disturbing. When do you think we should send a couple of our carriers to this fancy orange square in the middle of Kiev village to help the good guys in their struggle against corruption?"
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Serb; January 16, 2006, 18:09.

Comment

WHERE is your God damn bright future?
              And yours?
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

• 1) I've never said we have one to begin with.
                2) We are doing much better than they do.

Comment

If I calculated correctly, it's about 5,89.
                  So at $230 / 1000^3 natural gas is priced equivalent to a $40 oil barrel. Since oil is selling about 20 to 30% more than $40 / barrel, then Russian gas is a pretty good deal. OTOH $50 / 1000^3 is equal to about $9 / barrel of oil. Why did Russia ever agree to that price? Oil hasn't been that cheap for more than 30 years.

I'm surprised that the Ukranians didn't try to resell the gas.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I don't know. We use the same obscene gesture as you do, which involves only one finger.
                    In Brazil it is an obscene gesture. Nixon stepped on that cultural land mine when he was on a state visit to Brazil in the 1970's. As he was boarding his plane to leave he turned around and gave the crowd what he thought was a V for Victory sign (popular with the WW2 generation) but instead the crowd got totally pissed off and started throwing things and tried to rush out onto the tarmac to lynch him.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

A successful fly that attracted alot of jealousy. Hope the leader of Gasprom doesn't get arrested as well.
                      Gazprom is a state puppet and pays a huge percentage of the Russian national budget. Essentially Putin just wanted control of it in order to advance his own personal power by having the state, that is himself, gain control over a profitable asset. That a political rival was destroyed in the process was just icing on the cake.

The rule of law had nothing to do with it since the oligarchs who do as Putin tells them to do don't have to face the music for shady deals made during the Yelsin era.

Comment

Makes me sad to think that creators of television, Stealth technology and many other wounders, migrated to US after they have failed to implement their ideas at Russia. Your state possess a great talent for brain sucking, but it's our own fault. The good thing is that thanks to the creator of "your" Stealth we now know how to shot it down. That make it a waste of your money.
                        We do excel at finding the best over looked inventions and implimenting them after others have failed. TV is far from a Russian invention though since a German, Paul Gottlieb Nipkow, came up with the concept including technical diagrams in the late 19th century. The technology didn't exist to make it a reality though. Boris Rosing and his student Vladimir Kosma Zworykin invented something called a mechanical mirror drum in 1911 which sort of made images but didn't work well. Zworykin later got a job with RCA in the 1920's, he left Russia after the revolution, where he kept developing the idea but it was a technological dead end.

The real break throw was made by a Scottish inventor named John Logie Baird in 1925 when he invented the Cathod Ray Tube which was entirely different from the previous German or Russian ideas. It was much better then the Russian device because it could actually show moving pictures instead of static pictures and at much higher resolution. Still, it took the Americans to figure out how to make money off of this interesting piece of technology.

Stealth technolgy has a similiarly international invention path as does many other technolgies.

Comment

1) I've never said we have one to begin with.
                          2) We are doing much better than they do.
                          1) I'm sorry to hear that. Its a terrible thing for a whole country to have no direction or purpose.
                          2) Don't you think this statement is at odds with your first?

Comment

Working...
                          X