Berghoff closing :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berghoff closing :(

Chicago denizens will recognize this famous name ... the Berghoff Restaurant, at State and Adams, opened back in 1898, is closing its doors February 28, 2006.

Opened in 1898 by Herman Joseph Berghoff to show off his now-famous beer, this restaurant was the first Chicago establishment to receive a liquor license post-prohibition, and also serves a world-class root beer, thanks in part to the restrictions of Prohibition.

Since the 1950s, this has been considered one of the great Chicago style ethnic restaurants, with great sandwiches being the cornerstone of their great German and American cuisine. Not to mention the beer ...

Finally, this was the site of the most recent Chicago Polymeet, yet one more reason to decry its closing.

Anyone interested in a last Chicago Berghoff's Polymeet sometime in January?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Why is it closing?
    be free

Comment

Re: Berghoff closing

Originally posted by snoopy369
      Finally, this was the site of the most recent Chicago Polymeet, yet one more reason to decry its closing.

I would be interested... I'm sorry to see it close.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You rarely hear about a great restaurant closing though you often hear about a washed up has been of a restaurant closing.

Still, I've never tried it and I normally like to try places like that even if they're surviving on decades old fame which is no longer deserved.
        Last edited by Dinner; December 29, 2005, 12:08.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

While the food there is average, the beer and root beer are great.

I also have to ask, why are they closing? Bad business?? High rent???
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: Berghoff closing

Originally posted by snoopy369

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm up for it.

And gorram it. First it's the Marshall Fields thing (not that it matters to me, outside of Macy's being a haven for Communist traitors, what with its Red Star logo...), now it's the Berghoff... what's next, some other city building the tallest building in the world?

I mean, come ON!
              B♭3

Comment

I heard on CNN that the owner is retiring, and his daughter doesn't want to maintain the place as a restaurant (it'll be strictly catering from here on out).
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

That's lame. With over 100 years of reputation it seems like they could sell or lease the actual restaurant operation but retain the rights to the catering business. The city keeps a landmark and the owner gets a nice check for selling out. It is a win-win situation.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i ate there once in the early 80s. Sauerbraten, not bad, nothing overwhelming. Unfortunately wasnt really into quality beer then, and hadnt heard about the root beer.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Opening a German restaurant in America is actually something that I have pondered doing at some point in the future

Brewing skills might help I see

Comment

So we still need to pick a date for an Apolyton Meeting before it closes.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          While the food there is average, the beer and root beer are great.

I also have to ask, why are they closing? Bad business?? High rent???
                          My guess ... unsavory clientelle.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                            So we still need to pick a date for an Apolyton Meeting before it closes.
                            anytime is good for me
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If we do a weekend, I can fly up.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X