Digital Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon has all of those settings included, and many more
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Also is 5 MP too low? I recall reading that it's recommended that people buiy 4 or 5 MP, any less and pictures would not turn out that well and any higher it's wasted unless you plan to make posters and so on hence the need for finer pixels
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
        Canon has all of those settings included, and many more
        Any particular model you would recommend? Or do you still stick with the one you posted earlier?
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Canon's DIGIC II image processor, which is included in both the professional camera datajack linked to and the consumer one I linked to, has the anti-shake/image stabilizer technology as well sephia/b&w/vibrant/white balance fun/etc. They're pretty much standard Canon features.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
            Also is 5 MP too low? I recall reading that it's recommended that people buiy 4 or 5 MP, any less and pictures would not turn out that well and any higher it's wasted unless you plan to make posters and so on hence the need for finer pixels
            5MP is more than enough, unless you're printing posters.

My camera (from 2001) is a 3.2 MPixel and since I never print photos, it's still overkill. I usually resize to 1024x768 to send to people, but keep them in their native resolution for storage.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Well, I say that when you buy something that's going to be expensive no matter what, it's pointless to get a cheap model when you can spend a little more and get the real stuff
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I personally have my heart set on the Canon PowerShot S2 IS, but I hear the S3 is coming out soon so I'm waiting. It's not exactly compact though, so it's not what you're looking for.

5MPixels, 12x optical zoom.

Comment

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

indeed, that's the only website you need

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Sweet, dashi thanks and you guys too
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I would recommend the Canon Powershot A520.

We just bought that for my sister as a Christmas present. It's awesome. The pictures are amazing, the software is easy to use and it's reasonably priced (around $175-$200 US). It also shoots video.

I've been playing around with it. It's very nice. I'm probably going to buy one for myself next week.

I did a lot of research on digital cameras before deciding which one to get my sister. For cameras under $250, the Canon Powershot A520 is what I thought was the best.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Canon's DIGIC II image processor, which is included in both the professional camera datajack linked to and the consumer one I linked to, has the anti-shake/image stabilizer technology as well sephia/b&w/vibrant/white balance fun/etc. They're pretty much standard Canon features.
                          Not quite. The anti shake is something only on the IS series, the S1 IS and S2 IS. The compact ones, even those with the DIGIC II (the A610 and A620, as well as the S70 and S80) don't have anti-shake.

I have an A620, which is *amazing*. If you compare close up a Canon and something else at the price point, you see such an amazing difference. I had a look at a nice Olympus (SP350), and similar speced Pentax, Kodak, Fuji and Nikons, and the difference was there with all.

When it comes to the compacts, Canon's have quite a range. Unless you want oodles of manual controls, you don't need an S series. If you do, they're fantastic, but a similarly speced A series is a bit cheaper. There's the A510 or 520 which are good for a budget, however if you can afford it the A610 is a fantastic camera. The difference is the new DIGIC II chip. The A620 is just a 7.1MP version of the 5MP A610.

If you want anti-shake, have a look at the S1 and S2 IS. They're very good, but they're bigger and more expensive. For what you say you need, I'd advise against it.

IMHO, the Canon A series are amazing. The one I've got now is my second, and it's been fantastic. The Olympus and Nikon are worth a look at, but I've never found them to be as good.
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            I would recommend the Canon Powershot A520.

We just bought that for my sister as a Christmas present. It's awesome. The pictures are amazing, the software is easy to use and it's reasonably priced (around $175-$200 US). It also shoots video.

I've been playing around with it. It's very nice. I'm probably going to buy one for myself next week.

I did a lot of research on digital cameras before deciding which one to get my sister. For cameras under $250, the Canon Powershot A520 is what I thought was the best.
                            I should have read that before I posted Exactly right, unless you want to spend a little extra for a A610 or A620.
                            Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                              Not quite. The anti shake is something only on the IS series, the S1 IS and S2 IS. The compact ones, even those with the DIGIC II (the A610 and A620, as well as the S70 and S80) don't have anti-shake.
                              Aha -- so the IS probably means Image Stabilizer.

There is only one DIGIC II chip, it's kind of sad that they disable that functionality for lower end cameras. Though not surprising.

Comment

Really? I thought the A510 and 520 had an older chip, the one used in the A75, 85 and 95?

And yes, I believe it does
                                Smile

Comment

Working...
                                X