Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"In two and a half years Bush has succeeded in creating two new Talibans in Iraq."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      Three states

The Sunni one would be doomed. It would fail and become (continue to be, rather) a breeding ground for terrorists and such.

-Arrian
      but if that is what the people want..?

do you disagree with democracy?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why do I hate freedom?

If they vote for that, so be it. But the Sunnis would have to be morons to do it - they have no oil, IIRC. You would have two potentially viable states (Kurds, Shiites) surrounding a landlocked, resourceless, pissed-off hotbet of terrorism. And that's not getting into Turkey's reaction to an independant Kurdistan.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

sometimes I do think that democracy isn't the best for some cultures...

but then I wonder if that is culturlist..

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You only have to look at the US to see the mess countries can get in when they are allowed to vote for their leaders.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I refer you to Churchill's quote regarding types of government, Jon.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

eh, but he was talking from the point of view of a capitalist, individualist, materialistic society... (rationalist?)

consider a society that is none of those things.. is democracy the least worst there as well?

I really have doubts about both democracy and capitalism (Well, I hvae doubts ab out capitalism anyway, but I do admit in our society capitalism works.. I just don't like it) working in some african countries at this time....

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Yeah, I've had my doubts too, Jon... but again (and this is the point of Mr. C's quote) what is the better alternative?

-Arrian

Comment

Three states
                    Free Kurdistan
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Yeah, I've had my doubts too, Jon... but again (and this is the point of Mr. C's quote) what is the better alternative?

-Arrian
                      maybe one of the other ones..?

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

What about the Sunni "state" though, Az? How does that work out?

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

maybe one of the other ones..?

JM
                          Such as? If not democracy, we're talking about some form of dictatorship or oligarchy, yes?

That's better how?

-Arrian

Comment

if the people aren't going to elect people that will lead them right... then perhaps a leader might do that for them?

I know you have chance.. and can have really bad ones.. but you can have good ones also

and maybe you have to go through a process away from tribalism.. through some sort of tyranny.. before you can reach democracy

such as, the people would vote for laws that women get stoned if they ever leave the house, or if their husband wishes it.. but a tyranny, that wants to get some benefit from the west, would do differently...

the history of the west is one of progression, it wasn't just a jump into democracy

in fact, the french couldn't handle democracy at first, and had to regress to tyranny for a bit..

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              if the people aren't going to elect people that will lead them right... then perhaps a leader might do that for them?

I know you have chance.. and can have really bad ones.. but you can have good ones also

and maybe you have to go through a process away from tribalism.. through some sort of tyranny.. before you can reach democracy

such as, the people would vote for laws that women get stoned if they ever leave the house, or if their husband wishes it.. but a tyranny, that wants to get some benefit from the west, would do differently..
                              You mean, like Saddam Hussein did?
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Jon,

I'm with you on my general distaste for Tribalism (which, incidently, is just a micro version of nationalism...). However, which is worse:

1) Going through a period of "some sort of tyranny" to get to democracy; or
                                2) Going through a period of psuedo, tribalistic democracy to get to democracy.

Of course, the big ? is whether the endpoint really is what you and I would recognize as "democracy" (as in a representative republic).

There have been many, many dictatorships in this world, and hardly any were of the benevolent variety...

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X