Apparently gravity no longer exists.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

woohoo

Comment

What the hell is a N-body code?
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

You're ready for Skunk works
        What?

Comment

Probably a program to solve the N-body problem for gravity, silly.

Congrats on defeating gravity! Now you can do anything!
          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
            What the hell is a N-body code?
            It's a computer program for simulating the behaviour of a large system of coupled particles.

In this case, it's to simulate the growth of large scale structure in the Universe, so the "particles" are galaxy clusters and the the coupling is gravity
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Unfortunately, my particles don't appear to be coupling. They're just sort of sitting there.

Maybe I should tweak the initial conditions to provide greater deviation from uniform distribution than currently.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So... You're the Intelligent Designer?
                What?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

It's a computer program for simulating the behaviour of a large system of coupled particles.

In this case, it's to simulate the growth of large scale structure in the Universe, so the "particles" are galaxy clusters and the the coupling is gravity
                  Cool. I thought "N-body" was some sort of sucky brand name like N-gage.

Luckily, I don't do computational physics, so I can't help you there.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

If you plan to go to graduate school and become a theorist then you will be doing computational physics.

Everybody except a small number of experimentalists does computational stuff (or has their graduate students do it for them)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Bah. I wish more physics problems had exact solutions.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Note present tense.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          Unfortunately, my particles don't appear to be coupling. They're just sort of sitting there.

Maybe I should tweak the initial conditions to provide greater deviation from uniform distribution than currently.
                          HAAHAAAAAAAA

THAT WAS IT
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Did you use periodic boundary conditions?

Comment

Of course.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X