Another "Journalist" Caught Taking Bribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Is it that you wish it weren't so, or that you disagree that editorial columnists have different ethical standards than journalists?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      I'll admit I was just popping off in my first post, but I do think it's an interesting question, and I'm not just Lib-baiting: does libertarianism, as an ideology, actually allow for something like a professional ethos? If so, how?
      Of course they do. To disallow them would be anti-Libertarian

Comment

First, journalists are part of the political and economic world. Therefore, an ideology that gives us an idea of "how the political and economic world should work" must, by implication, give us an idea of how journalism should work.
        So do we refer to the standards - journalistic standards - they employ in their profession as an ideology? Of course not...What if my ideology doesn't allow for any journalists? So much for that idea

Second, "journalistic ethics" don't transcend time and space.
        Neither does Doug Bandow, he is a journalist and he violated a code of conduct governing his employment.

And that's my point: Journalistic Ethics = Liberalism.
        What does your point have to do with me or this thread?

I'll admit I was just popping off in my first post, but I do think it's an interesting question, and I'm not just Lib-baiting: does libertarianism, as an ideology, actually allow for something like a professional ethos? If so, how?
        A profession is not an ideology. Libertarianism may or may not match up with every journalistic standard, but it does value contracts and transparency in government and Bandow violated his employment contract as well as hiding the fact he was being paid by a bigshot lobbyist to write good stuff about his clientele which happens to include people doing business with government.

Comment

Ludd
          You're the one who brought it up in the opening post.
          I mentioned he's a libertarian I respected (so what?). Rufus then asked why I as a libertarian should be upset with Bandow, i.e., what is it about libertarianism that requires I be upset. He linked the two, not me...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Is it that you wish it weren't so, or that you disagree that editorial columnists have different ethical standards than journalists?
            No, it's that I think that an opinion piece should be the opinion of the stated author. If it's somebody else's opinion then I want to know that.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Perhaps columnists could adapt the usual disclaimer used in films .... This column does not necessarily represent the views of the author, the newspaper......
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
              X