Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This corporate profiteering is pissing me off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This corporate profiteering is pissing me off.

Some of you may recall the giant wildfires we had here in Southern California two years ago which were the largest wild fires in the history of the continental USA. The big corporate logging companies started a massive PR campaign claiming the wild fires were a result of improper forest management which caused the forests to be "over grown". These logging companies claimed that if they were allowed to thin the forests then there would be less fuel to burn and there would be fewer fires. The federal, state, and local officials bought it hook line and sinker since, on the face of it, their line makes sense. What is the real truth?

The real truth is that in wild fires the mature trees tend to survive and very, very few of them get burned to the point that they die. Instead small bushes and accumulated leaves are what burns. Of course the logging companies aren't interested in small trees, bushes, or leaves in their "thinning campaigns" instead they only go in and log the mature trees which they then sell for lumber. The end result is the area is no safer from wild fires yet the only trees in the forest which actually would have survived a wild fire get logged. That's bull****.

I bring this up because the extensive national forests surrounding San Diego have been put on the hit list for these corporate fraudsters and the Bush administration has given them the green light. Pictures in the local paper have shown the forest pre and post "thinning" and the result is tons of bushes and built up leaves minus all the oak, pine, and sycamore tree (which the companies want because they can sell the wood). The forests actually end up with more burnable fuel because these thieving bastards cut off all the branches from the trees and leave them on the ground. They only want the central log which is the most marketable part of the trees.

To make matters worse the city has bought into this whole "thinning" campaign and they've decided to cut down 60%-70% of the trees on the hillsides near my home. Locals are obviously upset since these 50-60 year old trees raise property values and look great. Setting periodic control fires would easily remove any accumulated leaves and shrubs however the city has decided that costs to much and the cheapest option is to simply cut down all of the trees. Since the city managers are all using the word "thinning" (which is funny since they're really clear cutting whole areas) I can't help but think they've also bought into the logging companies' PR campaigns.
    Last edited by Dinner; December 17, 2005, 12:37.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

This is why the community needs to have public services, that are here to serve the citizens without profiteering
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

If they tried that here in Minnesota there would be a riot.

Comment

Silly Oerdin, fires don't kill forests. People standing in the way of "sound" ecological policy do...
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You make a lot of great points there, Oerdin. I suggest toning down the language such as "bull****" and submitting to the Opinion page of a local newspaper that it's in the back pocket of Korporate Americka.

Hint: To verify you're a real person, editorial pages invaribly want your name, address and daytime phone number--but they print only your name and city.

Comment

dp

Comment

If there are no forests, there can't be forest fires.

Logging companies.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava's oppinions

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If this pisses you off, read up on Diane Wilson's ("An Unreasonable Woman") adventure with the state of Texas and the EPA.

Comment

Jesus is fake
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I know

:JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Forests are just slow growing crop fields (but in hot climate, they regrow in 5-6 years). Why do people believe it's something permanent? Wood is just an industrial crop that regrows like all other crops.

You never hear anyone say "I want to save some straws, so I eat human fecals instead of fresh food", but you can hear the same person say "I want to save some trees, so I use recycled paper".

Populist environmentalism sucks

Terminate the Taiga!
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

and what's so special about trees anyways? what do they contribute to society? NOTHING

they just sit there and eat up all the oxygen...

WASTEFUL TREES

THEY ARE KILLING THEY ENVIRONMENT

and they are the cause of FOREST FIRES

lets' get rid of them all

Logging companies
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I just happen to work for the biggest logging company in the world - this calls for a change in avatar...
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X