Starting Windows Xp In 98 Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Windows Xp In 98 Mode

How do you start windows xp in windows 98 mode? If anybody knows or at least could direct me to a site that might know how that would be very appreciated.

I suppose i am asking a question that cannot be answered in any way. Is it even possible to start windows XP in a 98 mode?

Comment

Either the answer is "no" or I don't know what you mean.
      What?

Comment

I can only think of two things: safe mode and compatibility mode.

You get into safe mode by tapping F8 (or the Ctrl key?) when your computer is starting up. You should get a menu from which you can pick Safe mode. I don't know why you'd want to get in there, though, unless your computer is showing problems.

Compatibility mode is simply an option in the properties of applications. You don't have to start your computer in "Windows 98 mode", you just select the "Windows 98" option from the compatibility mode drop-down for a particular program and it will run that program in Windows 98-compatible mode. You'll find that option in the program properties. I.e. right click a program executable (or shortcut?), and go to the compatibility tab.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

the real question is why you'd want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            the real question is why you'd want to do that.
            most legacy games (ie anything written before XP) don't seem to work well in XP no matter how you tweak the settings. I've yet to get any pre xp games that use smacker video to work properly for instance.

I'm starting to resign myself to setting up a dual boot system using my second hardisk.
            Last edited by Geronimo; December 17, 2005, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
            X