No announcement yet.

Domestic spying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think what Bush has been doing is sort of six degrees of connections style wire-taps. Casting a very very broad net...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• So the result of all this is an investigation into who leaked the information that the administration was doing something illegal:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Nice.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuie
        So the result of all this is an investigation into who leaked the information that the administration was doing something illegal:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Nice.
        There is every reason to have this investigation. Someone leaked national security secrets which is definitely illegal.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• You'd kind of hope that the result would be investigating why this type of illegal activity was done... but no.

I would also think that leaking 'national security secrets' that the government was doing illegal things would be covered under a whistleblower act.

Then again, the same people who say we need to go after this leaker were the same people who said Felt (of Watergate "Deep Throat" fame) was a traitor and, interesting, don't think the leaking of Valerie Palme's name is that important.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            You'd kind of hope that the result would be investigating why this type of illegal activity was done... but no.

I would also think that leaking 'national security secrets' that the government was doing illegal things would be covered under a whistleblower act.

Then again, the same people who say we need to go after this leaker were the same people who said Felt (of Watergate "Deep Throat" fame) was a traitor and, interesting, don't think the leaking of Valerie Palme's name is that important.
            Its yet to be definitively asserted that illegal activities/things were being done (sans a ruling from the supremes or actual eavesdropping details). Perhaps an investigation would shed light but that is not the nature of this particular investigation.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Wait, so the NSA takes direct orders from the president? Surely that's hideously dangerous for an inward-facing secret service?

In the UK, MI5, the inward-facing secret service, only takes orders from the head of the service, in order to be impartial in politics and internal matters. Only MI6, the foreign intelligence agency, takes orders from the Prime Minister. Otherwise the internal secret service is open to abuse, as the articles seem to be suggesting.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue
                Wait, so the NSA takes direct orders from the president? Surely that's hideously dangerous for an inward-facing secret service?

In the UK, MI5, the inward-facing secret service, only takes orders from the head of the service, in order to be impartial in politics and internal matters. Only MI6, the foreign intelligence agency, takes orders from the Prime Minister. Otherwise the internal secret service is open to abuse, as the articles seem to be suggesting.
                Point being NSA is supposed to be outward facing for foreign intel purposes. The presumed rationale for these wire taps was that this was at least on one end of the conversations communniques from overseas. That may not however be the case and should be part of an investigation IMO.

From NSA site

The National Security Agency/Central Security Service is America’s cryptologic organization. It coordinates, directs, and performs highly specialized activities to protect U.S. government information systems and produce foreign signals intelligence information. A high technology organization, NSA is on the frontiers of communications and data processing. It is also one of the most important centers of foreign language analysis and research within the government.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• It's not the criminal acts that bother conservatives, it's the exposure to sunlight. Cockroaches don't like it when they have to scurry...
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

• If nothing was illegal then there is no issue 'cept in the addled minds of the partisans.

Now don't get me wrong I oppose governmental intrusion in all forms but technically speaking its more about political football then anything else if nothing is truly illegal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosh
                      I think what Bush has been doing is sort of six degrees of connections style wire-taps. Casting a very very broad net...
                      One does not find the needle in the haystack by pilling more and more hay on the stack
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                        If nothing was illegal then there is no issue 'cept in the addled minds of the partisans.

Now don't get me wrong I oppose governmental intrusion in all forms but technically speaking its more about political football then anything else if nothing is truly illegal.
                        :shrug: It seems to me that this action is highly illegal. It is violative of the 4th Amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizures. I don't think, from all we've heard so far, that it only concerned foriegn wiretaps. I think there was plenty of domestic wiretapping going on without obtaining a warrent.

And I don't the argument that we are in 'wartime' so the President is allowed to do this washes as well. The wars (or at least the Congressional authorization) have been finished in Afghanistan and Iraq - the regimes have fallen; all we are doing now is clean up work. I'd argue that that shouldn't be considered 'wartime' in the context of allowing the President to suspend civil liberties.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Bill Safire apparantly was wire-tapped for several months because he "leaked" (at Bush's request) something to a reporter (who was being illegally wire-tapped as well) that Bush told him about a "welfare reform" speech. Of course, that was the FBI and not the NSA.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

• imagine Bush wiretapped, "hello? can I get a pizza?"
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

:shrug: It seems to me that this action is highly illegal. It is violative of the 4th Amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizures.
                              Apparently not when considering the precedent set by the appelate court decisions. Similarly the FISA court review of sealed case 02-001 held the president had the inherent authority to authorize warrantless electronic survellance for purposes of foreign intelligence gathering (even if Media Matters got the gist of the case as descriptive of whether the FISA court orders served as a proxy for a warrant correct, they (Media Matters) dropped the ball in understanding the further discussions the court held in that decision regarding the constitutionality of the executive to order warrantless electronic surveliance for that prescribed reason, namely foreign intelligence gathering.)

Until otherwise ruled by the Supremes the appelates have generally said unauthorized wire tapping for foreign intel is within the purview of the executive and hence not illegal.

I don't think, from all we've heard so far, that it only concerned foriegn wiretaps. I think there was plenty of domestic wiretapping going on without obtaining a warrent.
                              I also am skeptical but that would require further investigation to prove hearsay claims. But for the purpose of clarification it is generally understood that as long as one end of the communique is foreign that constitutes foreign intelligence gathering. The question at hand is whether any such information could then be used in legal proceedings against a US person(s). I think there has been precendent before that would disallow such evidence but could be mistaken.

And I don't the argument that we are in 'wartime' so the President is allowed to do this washes as well. The wars (or at least the Congressional authorization) have been finished in Afghanistan and Iraq - the regimes have fallen; all we are doing now is clean up work. I'd argue that that shouldn't be considered 'wartime' in the context of allowing the President to suspend civil liberties.
                              I see you are in the camp of Bush now when he stood on the carrier and said "Mission Accomplished!!".

Comment

• But for the purpose of clarification it is generally understood that as long as one end of the communique is foreign that constitutes foreign intelligence gathering. The question at hand is whether any such information could then be used in legal proceedings against a US person(s). I think there has been precendent before that would disallow such evidence but could be mistaken.

If foriegn to domestic discussions are wiretapped, the domestic side of the conversation has to be expunged from the record, unless there was a warrant.

And it seems to me that there were some domestic to domestic wiretapping going on as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X