No announcement yet.

Domestic spying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I forget the case, but there is one out there that speaks to the President's power in the foreign arena. Except for the power to declare war and ratify treaties, its virtually absolute. The reasoning is that power of foriegn affairs passed from the British crown directly to the executive when the US declared its independance. The President has the powers that the British crown had over foriegn affairs, except that which has been checked by the Constitution (ie, he can do anything in foriegn affairs unless the Constitution says no).

Obviously this is way different than the domestic sphere, where the government can't do jack unless the Constitution specifies it.

The case is in my Con Law book, which is at home (I'm in Asheville at the moment), but I can try to look it up when I get back.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
    X