Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    but why monitor peace groups?

when has that ever been a field for terrorists?
    I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to the Vietnam era, domestic spying on groups that disagree with White House policy; Enemies list...er, I mean Don't-Fly lists, illegal wiretaps...

Wait...a great idea for a sci-fi novel: The Saved Nixon's Brain

A gloomy, rain-soaked night. Karl Rove creaps down the back stairs to the White House basement. He opens up a heavy iron door. Behind it, bathed in eerie light, is a bell jar filled with bubbling nutrients and what appears to be a human brain.
    "Mr. President?"
    "Is that you Erlichman?" a mechanical voice responds.

Comment

Under the Constitution, certain liberties can be suspended during wartime. So I doubt this will be ruled illegal by any courts, especially with the courts we have. But this raises an interesting question: if in pursuit of military aims during a war the President suspends certain liberties, like the 4th Amendment's provisions regarding search and seizure, does he have to tell us? For example, if the law no longer protects us from unreasonable searches and seizures, shouldn't we know? Not telling us effectively changes laws without our knowledge and that aint kosher even if it is "legal".

And whats up with this secret court authorising search warrants? If a warrant turns out to be invalid, we need to know which judge(s) and bureaucrats screwed up. I can understand the increased scrutiny, if an attack occurs the Bushies will be blamed so they have an added motive to be zealous. I'll tell ya, Bush appears snakebit. I big election in Iraq and he should have gotten a nice bump in the polls but this comes out right away and people get pissed off again.

Comment

The constitution also says only congress can declare war. To my knowledge they haven't done that.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

*bump*

can't let the biggest presidential crime since Watergate go to the 2nd page.

Comment

Actually that's legally irrelevant, other than possibly making the congressional leaders accesories to the crimes. The ONLY way congress could have authorized such actions by the NSA is by actually passing an act of legislation. That's they way our government was set up in the first place as laid out in the US Constitution. Congressional leaders can't pass new laws, you need a full vote of Congress for that.
            During war our civil liberties may be denied.

Comment

Let me know when the republic is threatened with defeat and occupation, will you?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

they did, consistent with past resolutions calling for regime change.

Comment

what can I say other than:

I’m back in the u.s.s.r.
                  You don’t know how lucky you are boy
                  Back in the u.s., back in the u.s., back in the u.s.s.r.

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

When they authorized the moolah to get the mullahs it was a DoW.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Peace groups == terrorists!?!
                      very dangerous mind you, they want peace and not war. War drives the economy, those peace loving liberals want you to lose YOUR job.
                      they are close to terrorists. Some of them pirate software too and we all know that piracy = terrorism.

not to mention those peace activists - they love Saddam our enemy, they were against the war in Iraq. You are either with us or against us! They were against us, thus they were on Saddams side. They supported one part of the axis of evil, yesterday they supported Saddam, tommorow they will support North Koreans throwing nukes at the west coast! They cannot be let to endanger our safety, our security, it would be irresponsible to act otherwise. You will be grateful one day to Prez Bush because he spied on them for you, making your childen live in a better world tomorrow.
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Supposedly the NYT sat on this story for over a year because the administration told them exposing these wire taps (whose legality is questionable if not outright illegal) would jepordize national security.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This had better work
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

OMFG!!!1!!1 NYTimez librul media!!1!!
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              Supposedly the NYT sat on this story for over a year because the administration told them exposing these wire taps (whose legality is questionable if not outright illegal) would jepordize national security.
                              So much for the Liberal Media.

Mainstream Media is so far up the Neo-Cons' asses it's sick.

IMPEACH
                              INDICT
                              IMPRISON

SEND KING GEORGE AND UNCLE DICK TO THE HAUGE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. And I'm still waiting for an answer...
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X