Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    DC has a tech sector?

Which companies? Real ones, not game companies.
    The entire region is so big because of the tech boom. Not just computer tech - biotech is really big here, something I doubt Calgary has much of if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      The entire region is so big because of the tech boom. Not just computer tech - biotech is really big here, something I doubt Calgary has much of if any.
      Biotech? No.

But if you want energy tech, this is where it's at.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

http://www.mitre.org/ is based here, for one

Comment

Everyone I know who's lived in Ottawa says it's a perfectly nice place, if a little dull compared to Toronto and Montreal.

Everyone I know who's lived in Calgary seems to have this bizarre inferiority complex that leaves them prattleing on and on, ad nauseum, about how Western Canada is some sort of paradise.

So I'd say Ottawa. Its residents seem to be more truthful, less obviously delusional, are far less tedious on the subject of Canadian cities.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

http://www.mitre.org/ is based here, for one

http://en.wikipedia.org/Northern_Virginia#Economy
            Never heard of them.

I follow the tech sector quite closely and Washington, DC doesn't come up very often. *shrug*

Rufus: I like your reasoning.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

They do robotics stuff.

Walter Reed Army Medical Center was here until the base realignment moved all their people to one of the bases in Maryland (in the same area though). NIH is in the area. The Naval Surface Warfare Center-Carderock. Army Research Labs-Aberdeen. These are just off the top of my head; there are plenty of others.

Comment

Suburbia is awesome. All the benefits of a city without any of the problems.
                Quite rare to hear someone other than a middle aged white woman extoll the virtues of suburbia.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  Everyone I know who's lived in Calgary seems to have this bizarre inferiority complex that leaves them prattleing on and on, ad nauseum, about how Western Canada is some sort of paradise.
                  Don't you know me ?? Since I doubt where you could find much prattling on about Calgary from me.

That said, I will now give my opinion (in a non prattling ad nauseum kind of way)

I like Calgary. Generally pretty dry weather, great economy, attractive affluent place with great amenities including very easy access to the mountains. Clean, relatively safe with lots to do. Great place to raise a family

Negatives-- cold as heck at times and there is not much history here. If a building gets to be years old I think the cranes appear automatically to begin tearing it down to build a new one

I have visited Ottawa and don't see much terrible about it.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

But on the poll question I guess I'll have to say Ottawa since I can't VISIT Calgary
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

If a building gets to be years old I think the cranes appear automatically to begin tearing it down to build a new one

Comment

Originally posted by November Adam
                        never been to Ottawa, never want to go. It places a close second to Moose Jaw as a place I would like to least
                        visit in Canada.
                        Oy, there's no need to insult Moose Jaw!
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

Voted for Calgary. Although it's a bit like asking whether you want your fingernails yanked out or your toe nails.

I'm not crazy about the city of Calgary, but Banff and Yoho national parks are the places where I've always been happiest. Lots of great memories. If Calgary ever got a decent newspape, I'd worked there in a second.

As for Ottawa, the only redeeming thing about it now a days is that it has an exciting hockey team.
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                          X