Universal Translator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Translator

Deep inside the bowels of Google Labs, a new service is being hatched that allows you to read and post to Apolyton in your native tongue rather than English. The translations to and from all languages (save Sava-ese) would be close to perfect, except perhaps slang phrases here and there where there aren't analogous phrases among languages.

Would you post at and read Poly in your native tongue or in English?
    My native tongue is English and I would post to Poly in English
    55.10%
    My native tongue is English, but I would post to Poly in another language
    14.29%
    My native tongue is not English, but I would post to Poly in English
    22.45%
    My native tongue is not English and I would post in my native tongue
    8.16%
    Last edited by DanS; December 13, 2005, 10:40.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I'm Finnish, so I already can.

Comment

To be frank, posting to Poly in Finnish, besides in the Suomithreadi, would be too damn weird.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Nope, I doubt it would be able to keep up with my English writing style.

Comment

Also, many of your insults might get lost in translation so you should rather keep posting in English

Comment

Also, many of your insults might get lost in translation so you should rather keep posting in English
            Very true :nod:

And it would be hard to produce intentional grammar and spelling errors with an auto-translator.

Comment

That would be totally fricken badass. Provided it actually works.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Didn’t they already try this, to disastrous results? Called the Omnibus Talking Translator Of Kenski, it was supposed to translate perfectly fine Finnish into English. Unfortunately, there were major problems with the programming, and the project was cancelled sometime this year, maybe to be resurrected, maybe not…

Comment

Oof.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I would HATE to have such a feature

I hate it when I go to microsoft.com to download messenger, install it, notice it's in danish, uninstall it, go search the web for an english version of it

I hate it when I go to google.com to be redirected to google.dk, so I manually have to set the language to english

I hate it when I buy a DVD, then realise it's impossible to remove the danish subtitles from the movie

I hate it when I buy a game, but the game is only avaliable in danish/swedish/etc

And having such option would only make it worse
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I'm not going to learn Swahili and and all this Mandarin Chinese. Not Greek. Not Portugese. Not to read insults in a forum.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How 'bout to write insults in a forum?

Comment

Why would you trust a translator to translate what you said correctly? From the translators online I've used they're horrible. Even a vast improvement will still have some errors.

Awhile ago, I went to a foreign speaking forum and used a translator to post (I didn't know the language). My thread was promptly deleted.

Comment

Re: Universal Translator

Originally posted by DanS
                            (save Sava-ese)
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              How 'bout to write insults in a forum?
                              That's the flip side. Going to have to think this one through.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X