College Politics - you decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Politics - you decide!

Enough with this national/international politics stuff. Everyone knows all politics is local - in this case, local, and laughably juvenile! Or is it? I present to you developments going on at my college, as regards to Army recruiters on campus. Here's the skinny.

Up to now, the Army has been allowed to have recruitment booths, etcetera, on campus just like any other business or firm. The unfortunately acronymned ASWC (Associated Students of Whitman College) Senate, however, decided to pass a resolution prohibiting the Army from recruiting on campus. This is known as the also unfortunately acronymned "RUDE Act," standing for "The Restricting Unjust and Discriminatory Employers Act."

The relevent text of the Act:

WHEREAS the United States Military and associated agencies not limited to but including the Department of Defense maintain a policy expressly forbidding the service of openly gay, transgendered, lesbian or bisexual individuals in such departments

WHEREAS Article VII of the Constitution of the Associated Students of Whitman College states that no discriminatory organization shall receive support from ASWC Congress and that the rights enjoyed by ASWC members must not be denied on the basis of, not limited to, but including sexual orientation;

THEREFORE, be it Resolved by the Senate of the Associated Students of Whitman College that:

(1) All personnel representing a department of the United States Armed Forces or the Department of Defense are prohibited from engaging in recruitment activity for related agencies and departments, for either active or non-active duty, on the campus of Whitman College;
    So what's the verdict, Apolyton? If you were a senator in ASWC, how would you vote?
    Yea! Restrict the discriminatory Army!
    37.50%
    Nay! Allow them to continue recruiting!
    56.25%
    Bananas should be restricted from recruiting. There's enough of them already.
    6.25%
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

The Armed Forces are a career choice for some.

I'd vote against the bill.

Especially so if Whitman allows booths for things like the FBI, CIA, NASA, or NKVA.

Indeed, the first three are discriminatory based on intelligence.
    B♭3

Comment

What authority does ASWC actually have to (dis)allow this, or is it just another whiny-ass student group that thinks they're doing something that people give a **** about, but aren't?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
        What authority does ASWC actually have to (dis)allow this, or is it just another whiny-ass student group that thinks they're doing something that people give a **** about, but aren't?
        ASWC is the official College Senate, it's not an ad-hoc student group. Whether they are whiny-asses or not is another matter.

It has been argued by the college Treasurer that, since ASWC does not technically own or administer any part of the Reid Campus Center, where career booths are typically set up, ASWC does not have the authority to ban anyone from the center. However, as ASWC has fairly broad powers and isn't really challenged by "grown-up" college authorities on such matters, that may not matter. The Act goes further than that, however, limiting recruitment activity - not just booths, but recruiters. I spoke with an Army recruiter on campus last year as a favor to a friend of mine going into the Army; this apparently would no longer be allowed under the RUDE Act, despite the fact that I was the one who invited him. Whether ASWC would have actually done anything about it is another matter; I suspect what they're really after are the Army booths on campus, not individual students meeting with recruiting agents.
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          Especially so if Whitman allows booths for things like the FBI, CIA, NASA, or NKVA.

Indeed, the first three are discriminatory based on intelligence.
          I'm not aware of any booths for those agencies, though it is possible we have had FBI/CIA recruiters - poly sci is a strong suit of the college, and professors in the department have told me that some students have gone into intelligence careers.

Comment

Bizarre. You mean the "student government" at my school actually might've had some sort of quasi-power over some things?

Whoda thunk?

Anyway, if they don't have the authority, and it hasn't been duly granted them by the State, I'm not too sure why they should have a say in limiting the life options of their fellow students. Whoever is in charge of Reid Hall ought to point that out.

Comment

I think it is really quite elitest to ban army recruiters. Most people join (frequently the national guard) because they want to be able to pay for college, not because they want to kill Iraqi children. What exactly do they think they are really accomplishing?
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

There's that, too. So they are not only "forbidding" people from pursuing career options, they could also be denying fellow students the opportunity to pay for their education.

Comment

Bizarre. You mean the "student government" at my school actually might've had some sort of quasi-power over some things?

Whoda thunk?
                  You have as much power as you think you do, of course

Anyway, if they don't have the authority, and it hasn't been duly granted them by the State, I'm not too sure why they should have a say in limiting the life options of their fellow students.
                  The state? I'm under the impression that Whitman College has control over what recruiters are on Whitman College grounds. The question is whether ASWC has that authority; I don't know why the State would have anything to do with the matter.

Comment

Down with the military!
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

JohnT is such an inspiration for youth to have a voice in the world.
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I was assuming that Whitman is a state chartered school. Didn't take into consideration that it could be a private school.

From its beginning, Whitman College has prized its independence from sectarian and political control. Whitman has remained small in order to facilitate the close faculty-student interaction that is essential to exceptional higher education. In 1913, Whitman became the first college or university in the nation to require undergraduate students to complete comprehensive examinations in their major fields. The installation of a Phi Beta Kappa chapter in 1919, the first for any Northwest college, marked Whitman's growing reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          I think it is really quite elitest to ban army recruiters. Most people join (frequently the national guard) because they want to be able to pay for college, not because they want to kill Iraqi children. What exactly do they think they are really accomplishing?
                          The "gay lobby" at Whitman College is much more numerous and powerful than the "army lobby" or even "conservative lobby." That may be the reason; it may also be that the overwhelmingly liberal ASWC Senate wants to "stick it to the man." Or it may be that they genuinely think that their duty is to speak out against discriminitory policies. The timing seems somewhat suspicious to me, however - the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy has been around for some time.

Comment

I was assuming that Whitman is a state chartered school. Didn't take into consideration that it could be a private school.
                            My mistake, I should have mentioned that.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                              If you'd read the opening post you would have realised that the move isn't a protest against the Iraq war (nominally, at least).
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X