No announcement yet.

Bias in Academia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first recorded use of the phrase to refer to modern think tanks was in 1959, and by the 1960s the term was commonly used to describe RAND and other groups assisting the armed forces. In recent times, the phrase "think tank" has become applied to a wide range of advice-giving institutions, and there are no precise definitions of the term. Marketing or public relations organizations, especially of an international character, sometimes refer to themselves as think tanks, for example.
    So how is the Lincoln Group not a think tank?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

hahaha someone didn't read his own link

nice DanS
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
        Conservatives know that academia doesn't pay. They go out and get real jobs.
        The academic liberals are social parasites who are paid from public money. They don't steal as much as you do and they at least have the excuse of "educating" the masses somehow, OTOH.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          Additionally, it will take much, much more time, money, and effort to make a whole corresponding set of conservative institutions that can compete academically with existing institutions and have a national presence.

It's already been done, to a certain extent. Just look at the plethora of private think-tanks that have done much to supplant the former role of academia as the source of analysis and recommendations for policy makers, particularly conservative ones.
          The problem with Think Tanks is that they tend to spew ideology without having to go through the pesky details of peer review where they actually have to prove their ideological positions have some merit. Those you get far more partisan hackery out of the think tanks then you do out of acedemia.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Rather then the polarisation in one direction only? I don't see how it is a bad thing to give people what they want, with respect to higher education.
            Because the splitting of education would polarize it more.

Who said anything about accessing public funds.
            certainly not me.

I think that there are enough folks looking for these types of schools, that they will be able to pay for themselves. Granted they will be smaller in scope, but in terms of providing an education, will probably do a better job.
            I doubt that. Indoctrination, maybe; education is about broadening horizons, and I seriously doubt the ability of a school founded by idealogues to do that.

Why should a conservative college restrict the opinions on campus, the way in which liberal ones do? Wouldn't they argue that it is better to hear the arguments and be trained to spot their flaws? I don't see how offering competition for the public institutions lessens independent thought.
            Liberal colleges don't restrict the opinions on campus. Any bias is from the teachers themselves, which is incidental, not institutional. Founding a college specifically on purposes of ideology would make it institutional. Independent thought is lessened because the purpose of such a conservative school would be to pass on conservative values, which requires some degree of institutionalization of bias.

Agreed, and don't you think if the other schools are losing students that they will adjust themselves to compete? The same with the conservative schools, wouldn't they change to meet the needs of their students if competition forces them?
            A school can't "compete" in this regard without hiring people specifically for their ideological views, which is basically a sabotage of education. Professors should be hired because of their abilities and contributions to their field, not because they pass some litmus test for a conservative quota.

True, but again, if there is demand for alternatives, then they are going to flourish.
            At the expense of our democracy.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              It's already been done, to a certain extent. Just look at the plethora of private think-tanks that have done much to supplant the former role of academia as the source of analysis and recommendations for policy makers, particularly conservative ones.
              Professors have two primary activities; to teach, and to research (publish). The think tanks are quite adept at the latter, but they do not accomplish the former, which is, I believe, the part of academia that those condemning liberal bias have the most problem with.
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                To be conservative, you need a strong commitment towards ignorance and close-mindedness.
                God, it's CLOSED minded, with a D. What the **** is a close mind? You can't be close-minded.

I hope you all choke.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                  I hope you all choke.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

I'm sorry, I lash out at people because of my inner insecurities.

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

My reading comprehension is just fine sava.

It must be, given that you claimed Sava was the first to throw insults around, and ignored Japher's remarks about liberals and conservatives which came before Sava's post.

And Timexwatch's too...

Perhaps you mean 'my selective reading comprehension is fine'.

...all conservatives are ignorant and closeminded? Sounds like a little bit of prejudice here, sava. Surely you haven't met every single conservative.

Wonderfully ironic, coming from the man who makes sweeping statements about homosexuality....

Met all the gays and lesbians in Canada yet, Obi Gyn ?
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                        Wonderfully ironic, coming from the man who makes sweeping statements about homosexuality....

Met all the gays and lesbians in Canada yet, Obi Gyn ?
                        Irrelevant cross-arguments make me sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar

Irrelevant cross-arguments make me sad.

I'm not arguing about rights for gays and lesbians- just noting the irony inherent in Obi Gyn's remark :

Sounds like a little bit of prejudice here, sava. Surely you haven't met every single conservative.
                          But then I'm sure as a good Christian, Obi Gyn is familiar with the message implicit and explicit in this:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
                          Matthew 7:3

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You're making Jaguar sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                              You're making Jaguar sad.

I never promised him a rose garden.

Comment

I just don't understand why he's arguing to counter a bias that may not even exist.
                                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X