X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosions Rock Oil Depot North of London

By THOMAS WAGNER, Associated Press Writer
    13 minutes ago

HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, England - Explosions at one of Britain's largest oil depots jolted an area north of London early Sunday, hurling multiple balls of fire into the sky, shattering windows and blanketing the area with smoke. Police said the blasts, which injured 36 people, appeared to be accidental.
    ADVERTISEMENT

But the powerful explosions felt throughout a large swath of southeast England including London, 25 miles away, rattled nerves in a country still jittery over terrorism after deadly transit bombings in July killed 52 people and four suicide bombers.

The oil depot is near Luton Airport and some residents reported hearing an aircraft flying low overhead shortly before the first explosion at around 6 a.m. But police said there was nothing to suggest a plane was involved.

"All indications at this stage are that this was an accident," said Frank Whiteley, chief of police in Hertfordshire, the county where the depot is located. "However, clearly we will keep an open mind, as with all investigations, until we can confirm that for certain."

Al-Qaida and other terrorist groups have threatened to target fuel depots.

Police said 36 people were injured, four of them seriously.

More explosions were expected throughout the morning at the depot which stores 4 million gallons of fuel.

"The fire is contained," Whiteley told a news conference in Hertfordshire. "Yes, it's big and it's going to burn for some time. But it is under control."

Firefighters planned to use foam to stop the blaze spreading across the 1,500-foot by 2,800 foot depot and adjacent industrial park. The 20 blazing tanks were being allowed to burn themselves out while about 100 firefighters and 100 police officers stood by watching at the site.

"It's a controlled burn," said Jane Vine, a spokeswoman for the local county council.

Nearby Luton Airport remained open and flights were operating normally.

Emergency workers wearing masks cordoned off the area around the Buncefield Oil Terminal, about two miles from the town of Hemel Hempstead which was shaken by the blasts. Authorities evacuated residents nearby, as the plume moved slowly eastward.

Whiteley cautioned that the cloud contained irritants that could cause coughs and nausea. People in the path of the smoke should stay indoors, he warned.

Residents of Hemel Hempstead reported a loud boom and some felt their houses shake.

The Ramada Hotel in the town was evacuated after windows were shattered by the blast. Two guests received minor injuries from broken glass and were treated at the hotel, said Calum Russell, marketing director for Jarvis Hotels Ltd. All 187 guests had since returned to their rooms, Russell said.

"Around 6 a.m. as we were sleeping, there was a mighty explosion — a thunderclap that woke me up," said Neil Spencer, 42, who lives less than a mile from the terminal. "It was fireball after fireball — truly amazing."

Police said many roads and highways had been closed.

"There was a loud boom and the house shook violently," said Duncan Milligan, of Hemel Hempstead, who said the blast woke him up. "I am about three miles from where the explosion took place but I can see flames high in the sky and smoke billowing everywhere. There is clearly a building on fire near the motorway and police and emergency services are everywhere."

Local resident Richard Ayers said a massive column of smoke rose into the air and said the force of explosions had blown the roofs off houses near the oil depot.

"It is like it is doomsday," he told the BBC.

Britain's deadliest oil-related disaster was the July 6, 1988 explosion and fire on the North Sea oil platform Piper Alpha off the Scottish coast, which killed 167 workers.

In 1994, a blast and fire at an oil refinery in Milford Haven, Wales, injured 26 workers and caused tens of millions of dollars in damage. Oil companies Texaco and Gulf were eventually fined for violating health and safety regulations.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

The explosion woke up my friend who lives over 15 miles away

There were many more people queuing at petrol stations today, it may have just been christmas shoppers but I wouldnt put it past the jumpy British petrol buying public to panic buy at the slighest provocation

Also there are apparently major delays at the sections of the M25 cloest to the blast
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Last edited by Snotty; December 12, 2005, 08:31.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Wow, look at all that smoke!

Comment

Will gas prices rise as a result?
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Wow, look at all that smoke!
            It's covering the North Sea!
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I like the yellow urban area
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Didn't feel a thing!

Comment

Massive Fuel Depot Explosion Darkens London

News:

Massive blaze rages at fuel depot

Images of smoke and blasts

In pictures
                  A fire is continuing to blaze at a fuel depot in Hertfordshire after a series of large explosions sent black smoke drifting across south-east England.

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has visited the scene of the blasts which injured 43 people, two seriously.

A fire chief described the incident at the Buncefield fuel depot near Hemel Hempstead, after 0600 GMT, as possibly the largest in peacetime Europe.

The fire, which police believe was an accident, could burn for another day.

About 2,000 people living near the site have been evacuated, while police have advised others to keep their windows and doors closed because of fumes.

Map of explosion area

Thick clouds of smoke are spreading to the south-east and south-west of the site.

One person is in Watford General Hospital in intensive care with respiratory problems. Another person is in Hemel Hempstead Hospital being kept under observation.

The other 41 people were treated for minor injuries and discharged.

Witnesses said another two explosions followed the first at 0626 GMT and 0627 GMT at the site near junction 8 of the M1.

Further explosions

In total, 20 petrol tanks were involved, each said to hold three million gallons of fuel.

"Haden Robbins

I was woken by the explosion and was overwhelmed with curiosity.

I jumped on my bike to see what had happened. At the top of the hill I could see secondary explosions in the distance and guessed it was Buncefield as I used to work opposite the depot."
                  Your experiences from the blast zone

In pictures
                  A police investigation into the incident has begun, including investigations by anti-terrorist police.

But Chief Con Whiteley said there was "nothing to suggest anything other than an accident".

On his visit to the site Mr Prescott praised the response and offered government help but was told the emergency services were able to cope.

Hertfordshire's Chief Fire Officer Roy Wilsher said: "This is possibly the largest incident of its kind in peacetime Europe."

Samples of the smoke are being taken to determine the long term effects of exposure, if any, according to Dr Jane Halpin, director of Hertfordshire Public Health.

She said: "However, what I would restate is that those people who are most at risk are those people who have inhaled the smoke."

Tanker driver Paul Turner said he ran for his life after the explosion lifted him off his feet.

"I just saw this great big ball of fire come up from behind the building. It was about 50 metres wide," he told the BBC.

"Then there was the loudest explosion I have ever heard in my life. I got up, turned around and ran to my car and sped out of there as fast as I could."

Many houses have been damaged, with some reporting feeling effects from the explosion as far away as Oxfordshire - while it was heard in a number of counties and even France and the Netherlands.

School closures

Eye witnesses reported buckled front doors, cracked walls and blown-out windows.

Of the 2,000 people evacuated 290 people have gone to a leisure centre while 50 others have been offered bed and breakfast accommodation.

The M1 is closed both ways between junctions 6a and 12 and may remain shut on Monday.

Schools in and around Hemel Hempstead are likely to be closed on Monday, said police.

HAVE YOUR SAY
                  We heard an explosion and the whole house shook
                  Anil Taank, Northwood, Middlesex

Send us your experiences
                  Read more of your comments
                  The M10 motorway is closed in both directions between junction 1 and junction 7 as well as some arterial roads in Hemel Hempstead.

Motorists have been told not to go "anywhere near the M1 from the M25 upwards".

At Heathrow airport some flights were forced to delay landing because of smoke, but Luton airport was operating as usual.

The Buncefield depot is a major distribution terminal operated by Total and part-owned by Texaco, storing oil, petrol as well as kerosene which supplies airports across the region, including Heathrow and Luton.

The country's fifth largest fuel distribution depot, it is also used by BP, Shell and British Pipeline.

Police said there was no indication the explosion would cause fuel shortages and warned against panic-buying.

A spokesman for Total said: "We are doing everything we can to support the emergency services and to bring the situation under control."

A spokesman for the Department for Trade and Industry said it was too early to say what the effect would be on fuel supply but oil companies were getting oil from other parts of the south east and across the UK.

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said it would be investigating the incident.

Concerned relatives can call a police casualty bureau on 0800 096 0095, or from abroad on 0207 1580125.
                  BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

How in hell was nobody killed?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

...The blast was so powerful it rocked houses up to 40 miles away and was heard in Holland.

Most of the casualties had only minor injuries from flying glass but one person is seriously hurt and another is under observation in hospital.

"Tongues of flames" are continuing to soar hundreds of feet into the sky and an acrid cloud of smoke is stretching for miles from the depot and moving south-eastwards...

...Thousands of viewers are contacting Sky News with reports it shook houses many miles away.

Witnesses have said that buildings have been brought down and the roofs of houses were lifted by the force.

One witness said he was near the site when the blast happened and he saw a building "open up like a doll's house".

Sky News Correspondent Geoff Meade heard the blast at his home and broke the news to the nation.

He immediately called Sky Centre in west London, which was also shook by the explosion, and described "burning tongues" of flames in the sky.

:: An emergency hotline has been set up to help anyone concerned about friends or relatives. The number is 0800 096 0095.

Comment

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Mine has better pictures.

Comment

Re: Massive Fuel Depot Explosion Darkens London

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            How in hell was nobody killed?

Comment

Pictures remind me of Kuwait toward the end of the Iraqi occupation.

Apparently it's the biggest peacetime fire of its kind in Europe. I hope they're able to minimize the damage to the wounded, 2 of whom are reported to be in serious condition at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X