Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me with the interior design for my new place...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually prefer eclectic - though it's considered corny, and cliche by some. Use modern features - lighting installments and living room tables, together with mid-east carpets, and stuff like that. if you have room for pictures and statues, let the pictures be non modern, and the statues be modern, or vice versa, imo.

I think that your place should reflect who you are. Decorating tips miss the whole point.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
      I think that your place should reflect who you are. Decorating tips miss the whole point.
      True dat.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

aaah....i'm going for the modern/minimalist thing...cold and uninviting is just going to have to give way to cool sleek elegance
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

What do you want to do with the walls? With the amount of windows you have, you could paint the walls in a dark color. This will contrast nicely with all the light coming through the windows. It also contrasts with the floor you have.
          It'll also allow you to play with ambient light levels when it's dark. I'm thinking paper lights could be cool for the room:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Modern doesn't look good for living space. It's too cold, hard, and severe. A softer theme is usually more comfortable.
          The softer, classic thing works very well with family atmospheres, but with young urban people, the modern look can be a great outcome.

You say "cold, hard, and severe", I say "fresh, firm, and expressive"

Comment

Oh yeah I like those lamps Zoppepappa posted, I was thinking of getting one of those myself.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

yeah, zop, i saw those at ikea. i like em...I was thinking of painting the wall in the living room/kitchen either a deep red color, or go with a blue scheme.
              Attached Files
              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

red
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                  The softer, classic thing works very well with family atmospheres, but with young urban people, the modern look can be a great outcome.

You say "cold, hard, and severe", I say "fresh, firm, and expressive"
                  Hm, in that case, do

1. Use strong contrast
                  2. Use cold colours and/or grey tones (best in white and black)
                  3. Use lots of steel/metal and glass furniture
                  4. Use cold lights (cold white instead of soft yellow)
                  5. Rip your floor tiles or wooden floor out. Leave raw concrete/cement. Or maybe use large white floor tiles.
                  6. Paint the ceiling black. That's always a good one

Personally I'll use white for most areas, but include the slightest hint of a warm colour to take off some of the bite.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Make sure to use several mideast style rugs around the house. My friend has hard would floors and Ikea modernist stuff and coaches tend to slide around so he's always pushing them back into place.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Strong contrast has the downside of high glare, so don't use it places where you might be reading.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
                        red
                        A burgundy red with white borders is very nice. I'd go with that over blue any day.

This sort of furniture is fairly modern without the cold feeling the other stuff gives.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

ooo i like...

Comment

What's wrong with lots of geek literature and manuals sprawled across the floors, perhaps with a binary LED clock on the wall and a giant Star Wars poster?
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Other than the fact it would look like Asher's house?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I hate Star Wars.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X