Liberal arts education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeker

Although changing things is easier said than done. I've thought for a long while now that the ratio of "liberal arts" vs. "vocational" schools was outta whack. But then again, the trouble with a vocational school (and many other, focused schools) is that you have to make a decision about what you want to do. Liberal Arts, you see, allows you to not make a choice - and most high school kids I knew, myself included, had absolutely no idea what they wanted to do for a living.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's all rather sad - I am trying out my 3rd 'Liberal Arts' subject at University atm.....gone through Art History, English and Philosophy. In about 5 years I'll have a BA MA and Phd but will be lucky to get a job in MacDonalds because I did 'arts' subjects.

Makes me very good at trivial pursuit and dinner party conversation, and I am generally rather proud of my classical education and 'arty' degree subjects - but I will never receive the same respect or money as someone with a Bsc in basic economics or something similar.

They shouldn't call this education, it makes bile rise in my throat.
      Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Verres,

Don't let Asher get you down. I have a History degree, and I assure you I don't work at Mickey D's. I'm not likely to be buying any McMansions, either... well, maybe I will, what with my wife's salary (Comp Sci/Math double major)

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

See... liberal arts shouldn't be give a BA, they should be given a MRS... Even Arrian got one!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

It's not fear of the future that bothers me, it's the attitude.

Thankfully I live in a country that still values academics in certain, select institutions and thanks to making the right contacts, I know I can get paid a minimum wage doing what I love and trying to share it with others.

But being viewed as a second class citizen because I decided not to follow my school's recommendation and go into physics is something I will never get used to.

I'll still be sitting in my mildew ridden university rooms talking about romanticism and handing out Marxist pamphlets when Asher is dead in his grave due to stress. So I try not to let it bother me.
            Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

There are many things liberal arts majors can do.

Law and government are two big ones.

Also, remember that even jobs that have a technical aspect to them are not necessarily for engineers. Fact is most of the jobs that ask for technical majors are going to teach you everything you need to know about that job through their own training program anyways.

I have a buddy who is a Chemical Engineer from Renselar (sp) and had a job pegged for three years before graduating. They required him to take all kinds of supplementary courses outside of an already difficult curriculum, as well as maintain a ridiculous GPA. After all of that he is not in a lab somewhere mixing chemicals, he is in a Lever 2000 plant in Baltimore managing a production line (people, schedules), using not one course hour of his education.

Military is all about mechanical engineers, but I am the only Liberal Arts major (History, Poly Sci) out of 13 Junior Officers and they are no better at any job than me. Everything that we do was taught to us when we got here.

So don't fall for the common perception that there are no jobs for BA people.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                See... liberal arts shouldn't be give a BA, they should be given a MRS... Even Arrian got one!
                You bastard!

-Arrian

Comment

I have a buddy who is a Chemical Engineer from Renselar (sp) and had a job pegged for three years before graduating. They required him to take all kinds of supplementary courses outside of an already difficult curriculum, as well as maintain a ridiculous GPA. After all of that he is not in a lab somewhere mixing chemicals, he is in a Lever 2000 plant in Baltimore managing a production line (people, schedules), using not one course hour of his education
                  I've got a BS in Chemical Engineering from UCDavis. My GPA wasn't very good. However, I've worked for Genentech and Johnson&Johnson as an engineer and was paid quite well. I am now in a smaller company, having some fun. I have been out of school for 6 years and I already have my glass ceiling in sight. I am getting ready to go to grad school, financed by my company.

IMO, it's not what you got, but what you do with what you got that really counts.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

As with everything in life...

Comment

Japher

My buddy is racking it in too, btw.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Oh, I'm not making so much now. But the room for advancement is better.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Well said Seeker.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                          X