Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get her before she gets you.

Comment

Well, if we aimed for Canada we might hit Vermont...Ben & Jerry's, idunno...

On topic, I don't think this is such incredible news. You get nuts like this in every country large enough to have a lunatic fringe. It's sort of a statistical probabilities thing. Out of every hundred thousand people, a certain number are going to fall on the end of the bell curve that's lost its cotton-picking mind.

What's more suspect, to me, is that they didn't include a picture. What do you guys figure: picture not available, or the poor girl next door was too plain to get people in an uproar?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I know a new convert, and she hasn't blown herslef up, and neither did she kill innocent people. What should I do?
        Apparently you need to send her to Morrocco so she can reach her full potential.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

the real mystery is that shes francophone, by her name. Since ALL suicide bombing is a response to foreign occupation, logically the only Belgians who should become suicide bombers should be Flemings.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            Read her name again and tell me.
            I'm sure there's no shortage of first-gen or second-gen immigrants that take Belgian names.

Comment

How can exactly an immigrant get a Belgian name and surname? And, when was the last time you heard about muslims with non-mulsim names?
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Belgians of immigrant decent can't adopt a Belgian surname?

Well, this woman's life sure was rather tragic. Dysfunctional teen, jobless, and then killing herself for nothing.

As for what can be done? Well, either we erect a police state, or we recognize that if you give people freedom, some of them will use it to make a royal nuisance of themselves.

[/drunk post]
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

When the next disfunctional whore will blow up herself in a european shopping center, you'll decide
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Well, if we aimed for Canada we might hit Vermont...Ben & Jerry's, idunno...

On topic, I don't think this is such incredible news. You get nuts like this in every country large enough to have a lunatic fringe. It's sort of a statistical probabilities thing. Out of every hundred thousand people, a certain number are going to fall on the end of the bell curve that's lost its cotton-picking mind.

What's more suspect, to me, is that they didn't include a picture. What do you guys figure: picture not available, or the poor girl next door was too plain to get people in an uproar?

A woman reads Belgium's newspaper 'La Derniere Heure' that headlines 'This is our Belgian Kamikaze killed in Iraq' and shows a picture of Muriel Degauque from the southern city of Charleroi, Belgium, in Brussels, Thursday Dec. 1, 2005. Belgians were trying to come to terms Thursday with the news that a working class woman from an industrial southern city had turned from a "nice" shop assistant into a suicide bomber who blew herself up in Iraq. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert) (Geert Vanden Wijngaert - AP)
                    Last edited by The Mad Monk; December 2, 2005, 21:43.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I guess the picture answers my question. I was just curious why her 'handlers' would waste such a valuable asset as a northern European suicide bomber in Iraq instead of Europe or the U.S., where she'd be immune to profiling and could achieve a higher death toll.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove She was 37 years old for Pete's sake, yet the article treats her as if she were a runaway teenager!
                        Ageism. Painting someone as young is a way of disparaging them regardless of their age. Like calling black men "boy". To be young is an epitaph more than a reality. So this woman did something really stupid, so calling her young is a way to discredit and insult her.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I guess the picture answers my question. I was just curious why her 'handlers' would waste such a valuable asset as a northern European suicide bomber in Iraq instead of Europe or the U.S., where she'd be immune to profiling and could achieve a higher death toll.
                          I'm getting worried about having those olympic games tickets..

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I wonder why the woman blew herself up in there too, and not in here.

I don't have problems wondering how she turned into this though.. she was brainwashed by her man, a radical, and it was easy because she was in love with him. Like cult leaders have charisma and people can be brainwashed once they are drawn to that person, this would be pretty simple.

However, this should set off alarms, because next time it might happen in here instead of there. We can't afford the deviding between muslims and others here in Europe. The large communities in here, they can be turned into where they might accept strikes like in there. Because then it's a situation that we can't work no more. How can it be done, to keep them close, integrate more. Through equality and trying to work the problems with their communities. That's the only way I see we can protect the future. And then again solving problems should have value enough.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

She brainwashed herself, from all appearances.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm intrigued by the implication that having a pure mind makes you a crazy.
                                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                                X