No announcement yet.

Belgian "Girl Next Door" Becomes Iraqi Suicide Bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only do I not understand the senseless killing, but I don't think I'll ever understand how some women that grow up in a liberal Western democracy, where they enjoy more freedom than any other women in the world, just want to surrender it by converting to Islam.

I don't know, maybe some women just want a strong man/culture that dominates over them due to some deep seated insecurity?

The backlash starts here. I imagine the Muslim population in Belgium's going to be in for a pretty rough time. Who knows, 5 years down the line we might have to throw out the entire concept of suicide bombers being young, male and Arab. We might have to start profiling little old grannies yet.

I also found it interesting that on the page opposite this story in yeasterday's Times was an article on how Italian bishops were telling Catholics not to marry Muslims. I wonder if the situation will degenerate into a "you can't take our women" scenario.
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I also found it interesting that on the page opposite this story in yeasterday's Times was an article on how Italian bishops were telling Catholics not to marry Muslims. I wonder if the situation will degenerate into a "you can't take our women" scenario.

The surprising thing was the complete lack of any kind of protest about this sentence from any political party. Basically, everyone admits that women aren't exactly treated well by muslim men
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
        Not only do I not understand the senseless killing, but I don't think I'll ever understand how some women that grow up in a liberal Western democracy, where they enjoy more freedom than any other women in the world, just want to surrender it by converting to Islam.

I don't know, maybe some women just want a strong man/culture that dominates over them due to some deep seated insecurity?
        For some people this is attractive, in particular people who don't trust themselves (this girl appears to have made a mess of her life long ago) or have been raised in an abusive environment where they equate violence / control with love.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I note particularly that she'd been with a Turkish man and an Algerian man previous to her Moroccan.

She certainly seems to have been "profiling"...
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

She was 37 years old for Pete's sake, yet the article treats her as if she were a runaway teenager!
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

more sex appeal
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Yeah, I found that strange, as well. who refers to a 37-yo woman as a "girl next door" anyway?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                  Yeah, I found that strange, as well. who refers to a 37-yo woman as a "girl next door" anyway?
                  Sensationalism.

It sounds more dramatic if they play this angle up. After all, if this girl next door could succumb to the lure of Islamic terrorism, which one of our fair daughters could be next to fall to the lustful charms of the Musselmen?
                  STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

ahh, the lustful charms of getting beat up.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                      Aim Canada, and you might hit the US.
                      Are you actually saying that you might miss?
                      What?

Comment

Isn't it nice that young converts are taught to blow themselves up and murder innocent people?
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                          Aim Canada, and you might hit the US. How much support would that get?
                          Aim at Canada and you're more likely to hit one worthless chunk of ice or another.

Comment

Muriel, de Monceau-sur-Sambre à Bagdad
                            Le Soir
                            vendredi 02 décembre 2005, 08:00

L'histoire de la jeune terroriste se précise. Elle n'était pas la seule prête au martyre.

Dans leur maison de briques rouges de l'avenue de l'Europe, à Monceau-sur-Sambre, Jean et Liliane, les parents de Muriel Degauque, revoient la vie de leur fille. Écrasés de chagrin, ils n'ont pas de mots pour exprimer leur solitude. Ils se taisent et demandent qu'on les laisse en paix.

Tous, dans ce quartier paisible des hauteurs de Monceau, tentent de trouver la clé du comportement de la jolie jeune femme venue encore saluer ses parents au mois d'août. Un jeune du coin se souvient de l'arrivée de Muriel : « Elle est descendue de la Mercedes blanche de son compagnon. Un modèle ancien. Lui était tout vêtu de blanc. On aurait dit Aladin. Elle portait son voile, comme toujours. On ne voyait que ses yeux. »

Andrea Dorange, la voisine des Degauque, a demandé à Jean et Liliane si elle devait répondre aux questions des journalistes. « Ils m'ont dit oui, pour que je dise la vérité. Elle était gentille, polie, bien élevée. »

Andrea est arrivée dans le quartier quand Muriel avait cinq ans. C'était une jolie gamine avec qui elle parlait souvent. Pour Andrea, la petite était espiègle, peut-être un peu influençable.

Rien de grave, juste une propension à suivre les autres, hélas pas les plus faciles, pour être acceptée par le groupe. Muriel étudiait normalement. Elle a fait l'école moyenne à l'athénée de Fontaine-l'Evêque puis étudié la vente à Charleroi.

Au début de son adolescence, elle a dû affronter la mort de son frère. Jean-Paul est mort dans un accident de moto alors qu'il avait 24 ans. Lors de ses funérailles, la maison était couverte de fleurs, et les copains motards ont défilé dans l'avenue en cul-de-sac, devant les petits jardins tirés au cordeau, avec le grand terril boisé en arrière-plan. « C'est Muriel qui avait annoncé la nouvelle à ses parents. Ils étaient à la caravane. Muriel me disait que c'est elle qui aurait dû partir, à la place de son frère. Tout le monde l'aimait. »

Ses parents accablés par la peine, Muriel a affronté la vie. Après l'adolescence, elle a travaillé dans une boulangerie puis dans un café. Elle a épousé un homme très gentil, s'est convertie à l'islam. Pour Andrea, Muriel avait plus la foi que son mari. Il ne l'obligeait pas à porter le tchador.

Pourquoi l'a-t-elle quitté ? Allez savoir. Le coup de foudre pour un autre homme : folle d'Issam, elle allait de plus en plus loin dans sa nouvelle religion, parlait et écrivait l'arabe. À la maison, en présence de sa maman, elle ôtait son voile, mais le remettait quand son père arrivait. Les parents avaient reporté sur Muriel tout l'amour qu'ils vouaient à leur fils. Ils lui avaient transmis des principes stricts que Muriel s'entêtait à défier.

Ce défi passe d'abord par un voyage que le couple effectue au Maroc. Trois ans durant. La famille n'aura que peu de nouvelles de Muriel. À leur retour, Muriel et Hissam, 31 ans, s'installent rue de Mérode, près de la gare du Midi, à Bruxelles. Elle vit recluse, femme au foyer. On ne lui connaît aucune activité particulière.

« Lui avait ouvert, à leur domicile, un cabinet dans lequel il soignait les gens à l'aide de ventouses. Une activité très rémunératrice », selon des enquêteurs.

C'est notamment en exerçant ses talents qu'Issam exprime son radicalisme. Au point d'attirer l'attention de la Sûreté de l'État qui se met alors à le surveiller, tout comme la section antiterrorisme de la police fédérale. On est alors en juillet de cette année. Hissam et Muriel multiplient les rencontres avec une filière irakienne. Jusqu'au départ pour Bagdad et ce fameux 9 novembre où Muriel se fait exploser contre un convoi militaire américain.

Quand elle regarde à la télé les kamikazes se ceinturer de bombes, Andrea Dorange se demande comment Muriel a pu entrer dans la peau d'un de ces personnages d'un autre monde.

Elle, Muriel, la gamine espiègle de Monceau, qui aimait les expériences, connaissait le Coran et était amoureuse d'un homme qui l'emmènerait pour un voyage dont elle ne reviendrait pas.

In short:
                            She was nice, but slighly influencable. She needed recognition by the group and thus was more of a follower kind.
                            She had to go through the death of her brother: 'It should have been me, everybody loved him'
                            With her first husband, she was the one who wanted to be vailed, he didn't asked her.

So, according to me, she was unsure about herself. Follower, need of recognition, saying *she* should have died instead of the one who was loved by everybody, and wanting to do more than her share (wear veil while with a moderate muslim and wanting to explode herself when with a more fundamentalist one), are signs of a person with low self-esteem.
                            Sacrificing oneself for a higher purpose is very appealing to people like that.
                            And that's where religions are strong: they offer such people a possibilty to transform their ****y existence into a holy eternal life... or death.
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yeah, if that's not a reason to go and kill several innocent people, I don't know what is.

Actually, there are none!

I think we should bomb Bruges.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Isn't it nice that young converts are taught to blow themselves up and murder innocent people?
                                I know a new convert, and she hasn't blown herslef up, and neither did she kill innocent people. What should I do?
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X