X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial Face Transplant Done in France

By CAROLE BIANCHI, Associated Press Writer
    26 minutes ago

LYON, France - Doctors have performed the world's first partial face transplant, grafting a nose, lips and chin onto a 38-year-old woman disfigured by a dog bite, hospital officials said Wednesday.

The surgery was performed Sunday, said a statement from medics at hospitals in Lyon and Amiens. The surgery was performed in Amiens in northern France, but doctors from both hospitals participated.

One of the doctors who performed the surgery, Jean-Michel Dubernard, would not discuss the case when contacted by The Associated Press.

"We still don't know when the patient will get out," he said.

A news conference is planned for Friday.

The hospitals' statement said the woman was in "excellent" condition, and the transplanted organs looked "normal." She wants to remain anonymous, the statement added.

The woman was disfigured by a dog bite in May, and the injury made it difficult for her to speak and chew, the statement said. Such injuries are "extremely difficult, if not impossible" to repair using normal surgical techniques, it added.

The organs were taken from a donor who was brain dead, with the family's consent, the statement said.

Experts say the mouth and nose are the most difficult parts of the face to transplant.

Doctors elsewhere have performed scalp and ear transplants.

Dubernard collaborated in the transplant with Bernard Devauchelle.

Dubernard also led teams that performed a forearm transplant on a 49-year-old New Zealander in September 1998 and the first double arm transplant in January 2000 on Denis Chatelier, who lost both forearms when a model rocket he was trying to launch exploded.

Scientists around the world are working to perfect the technique involved in transplanting faces. Today's best treatments still leave many people with freakish, scar-tissue masks that don't look or move like natural skin.

A complete face transplant, which involves applying a sheet of skin in one operation, has never been done before. The procedure is complex but would use standard surgical techniques.

Critics say the surgery is too risky for something that is not a matter of life or death, as regular organ transplants are.

The main worry is that if the immune system rejects the transplant, the skin will slough off, leaving the patient worse off than before. Complications also could include infections that turn the new face black and require a second transplant or reconstruction with skin grafts.

Drugs to prevent rejection would be needed lifelong, and they raise the risk of kidney damage and cancer.

Such concerns have delayed plans to attempt the operation in England.

In France, ethics authorities rejected an application by doctors to try the surgery last year but left the door open for partial transplants around the mouth and nose.

In the United States, the Cleveland Clinic is among those planning to try a face transplant.

"It doesn't change our plans," said Dr. Maria Siemionow, a clinic surgeon.

She said the clinic was "really looking for the right candidate," which she described as "severely disfigured patients which have already had the conventional treatment" and for whom a transplant is the last chance.

Doctors at Jinling Hospital in Nanjing, China, reported that they transplanted two ears, part of the scalp and other facial skin from a brain-dead young man to a 72-year-old woman with advanced skin cancer in September 2003.

Four months later, there were no signs of rejection or tumor recurrence, but it is not known how the patient fared after that.

Doctors around the world have performed partial face transplants using the patients' own skin, but those do not require anti-rejection drugs.
    When I first saw that France was involved, I thought maybe it would boil down to some aspect of being two-faced.
    This is a very good thing.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Just like France to do things half-assed
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      Just like France to do things half-assed
      Uh....er....um.... I won't even go there.

Comment

Oh no, this thread is going to boil to a head full of puns...
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

face it Bill, your suggestion is what'll get it started
          Monkey!!!

Comment

That's quite a head start France is getting in these procedures.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Bah, I'm sure surgeons have faced greater challenges than this
              CSPA

Comment

I am actually expecting quite a face-off between french surgeons and LA ones.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Pretty soon you'll have the likes of Nick Cage and John Travolta shooting up the hospital in spectacular displays of Hong Kong-style action. I can't wait.
                  If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

huh? I don't get it.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        huh? I don't get it.
                        Faceoff. B movie.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

A complete face transplant was done of the Nip/Tuck Tv show I saw a few weeks back. Although the surgery was "flawless", the patient rejected the new face and they had to later remove it.

It was actually an interesting subplot in a show I generally watch for the sex
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I know I made a quip in opening post, but surely you recognize the significance of this.
                            Malformed babies. Accident victims. Burn victims. War wounds. I know many of you must have seen people who will be glad for this advance.

And Gangerolf ? Sounds to me, and reasonably so, that the operation is difficult.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                              A complete face transplant was done of the Nip/Tuck Tv show I saw a few weeks back. Although the surgery was "flawless", the patient rejected the new face and they had to later remove it.

It was actually an interesting subplot in a show I generally watch for the sex
                              Yes, the alternative name for the show would be more accurate. Nip/F***
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X