No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some parts of the movie seemed like nonsequiters. I think they overplayed Hermione's angst. I would have given anything if Ron had slipped up and remarked: "Gaw, She's gone all menestru al." They bent over way to far to try to make them "typical teenagers". I don't know if that was Rowling's fault, the screen adapter's fault, the director's fault or the actors' fault, but I hope they correct it by the time the next picture is filmed.

Oh and yes, was last year a particularily bad year for the weather in northern Britain (or was this filmed in Scotland)? It seems the sky was overcast the entire time.

I'd vote for Prisoner of Azekiban as the best Harry Potter so far.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

oh I lied. I forgot there is one part I wasn't quite clear on in the new movie.

Basically the whole maze scenes. I may rewatch the movie this weekend to try to clarify it. Did the girl who got entangled die? There was no mention of a funeral for her. I know he sent up the red sparks, but he did it- not her. Maybe I just missed seeing her at the end. And I thought Victor was bewitched, yet he seemed normal at the end of the movie. What happened there? How did he get out? And I'm still not entirely sure about the graveyard scene and Tom Riddles role in all this. Is there more he's involved with? I thought he was just in the second movie, but he seems to have more importance.

Comment

Both the girl and Victor were rescued from the maze. The spell on him presumably wore off. After all he did what he was supposed to so the fake Professor Moody had no reason to prolong the spell.

Tom Riddle IS Lord Voldemort. More accurately Tom Riddle assumed the name Lord Voldemort as an adult. That was explained in the second book / movie. Peter Pettigrew would have known Tom at Hogwart's.

I still don't see why the magic authorities would have ignored Harry's story about the resurrection of Voldemort. I mean after all, he returned with a dead body. Surely the magic world must have the equivalent of a coroner who could have examined the dead boy and found that he had ben killed by a death curse. Then they would have to consider Harry's story or charge him with murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          oh I lied. I forgot there is one part I wasn't quite clear on in the new movie.

Basically the whole maze scenes. I may rewatch the movie this weekend to try to clarify it. Did the girl who got entangled die? There was no mention of a funeral for her. I know he sent up the red sparks, but he did it- not her. Maybe I just missed seeing her at the end. And I thought Victor was bewitched, yet he seemed normal at the end of the movie. What happened there? How did he get out? And I'm still not entirely sure about the graveyard scene and Tom Riddles role in all this. Is there more he's involved with? I thought he was just in the second movie, but he seems to have more importance.
          The girl is saved, they just don't show her being rescued in the movie.

Victor was under a spell while he tried to kill Harry; the effects of the spell were removed later, but this was also something not really shown in the movie - it is just expected you assume it all worked out.

Tom Riddle is Lord Voldemort, that is, when Voldemort was a teenager. The old house shown in the movie, where the old keeper is killed, and near where the graveyard scene takes place, is the house of Tom Riddle's (Voldemort's) father.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            I still don't see why the magic authorities would have ignored Harry's story about the resurrection of Voldemort. I mean after all, he returned with a dead body. Surely the magic world must have the equivalent of a coroner who could have examined the dead boy and found that he had ben killed by a death curse. Then they would have to consider Harry's story or charge him with murder.
            Have you read OotP? In it, we see the Ministry of Magic tries to simply ignore the idea that Voldemort is back, through a smear campaign against Dumbledore and Harry.

Comment

They bent over way to far to try to make them "typical teenagers".

But that's supposed to be the point. They are typical teenages, just in world surrounded by magic. I get the feeling you may not like the 'typical teenager' angst in "Order of the Phoenix" (next movie/book) then.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                Have you read OotP? In it, we see the Ministry of Magic tries to simply ignore the idea that Voldemort is back, through a smear campaign against Dumbledore and Harry.
                Yep, think of it this way. Imagine a country goes to war for X. Then it is shown that X never existed. The government would try to ignore it and smear the other side that pointed it out.

Btw, you can substitute X for "Weapons of Mass Destruction" if you want
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Yep, think of it this way. Imagine a country goes to war for X. Then it is shown that X never existed. The government would try to ignore it and smear the other side that pointed it out.

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Not that it matters, since everyone knows you sleep with tranny hookers and burn Bibles.

Comment

Come on, Imran. That would never happen.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well it was just a hypothetical

Comment

Well it was just a hypothetical
                          I thought you never addressed hypotheticals?
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

I haven't enough free time to read any of Rowling's recent books. She's "gone Russian" on us. How then do they ignore the kid's dead body? Would they not have at least investigated the cause of his death? If their investigating wizards are up to snuff would they not detect the use of a death curse as the cause of death?

Oh, oh, I know, I know! The Ministry of Magic is full of corruption! A new Minister of Magic is needed. How about Lucius MalFoy? Yes, and he'll need a clone army to fight the rebels, and a new apprentice to become his right hand man after he becomes the Emporer of Magic. In the end we'll discover that Lucius was Voldemort all the time. We'll need some really cheesy dialog to lure Harry over to the dark side.

Comment

I see Doc has never heard of a coverup before

Comment

So it's going to turn out that whathisname, the Minister of Magic, is actually a deatheater? If Voldemort's people are in charge of everything why do they have to hide themselves?

Maybe it's a plot flaw.

Comment

Working...
                                X