Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the movie

Warning - possible spoilers if you havent yet read the book (which has been out for years, people, so go read it now, if you havent yet)

Pretty good all in all.

Scenes in Hangleton handled very well.
    Same for Quidditch world cup, and the Triwizard tournament scenes.

Emma Watson continues to improve, and does well. Radcliffe a tad less so. Most minor characters, teachers, evil folks, etc do pretty well. Exception - the guy who plays Dumbledore - though I think a lot was how Newell interpreted the character, rather than the actor. Still, I miss the combination of Richard Harris and Chris Colombus for portraying Dumbledore.

I also miss John Williams.

Of course a lot was cut, and some was changed - for the most part the decisions made sense, and helped the movie. Certainly it was a very long book to adapt, and that required many compromises.

The contemporary music at the Yuletide Ball was a little jarring, but I suppose I can live with it.

Perhaps the best film of the series thus far. Which is interesting considering that i didnt find it the best book, even at that point - book three was better.

Missed the most (though the rationale for cutting is clear) Winky, SPEW and the whole houseelves subplot.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Exception - the guy who plays Dumbledore - though I think a lot was how Newell interpreted the character, rather than the actor. Still, I miss the combination of Richard Harris and Chris Colombus for portraying Dumbledore.

I think this particularly is a matter of personal preference - I like this Dumbledore a lot better.

Comment

I liked it, although not that much. The cutting was savage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
        I liked it, although not that much. The cutting was savage.
        It had to be, the book was so long, had so many subplots, etc.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Did anyone else find the lighting throughout the movie to be a bit too dim? Was the dim lighting intentional or did the theater I saw the movie at fail to adjust the projector light properly? I found the need to strain to see a bit dsitracting.
          Moody's fake eye got to be distracting also after awhile.
          There were times when you could tell that alot of the plot either wound up on the editing room floor or didn't even make it into the rough draft of the screenplay. The interplay between the characters needed to be fleshed out at times. Failing at that made the progression of the plot seem rushed and a little choppy at times. I wonder if there will be a "director's edition" of the DVD?

I sense a major plot mistake here too. When Voldemort came back Lucius Malfoy was present at the gathering of his disciples. Harry Potter was present to see Lucius declare his unswerving fealty to Voldemort. Wouldn't that be enough to get him banned to Askerban? How then can his character continue on through the rest of the series as if nothing happened?
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Erm, in the books Harry saw Lucius. It's that no one believed him (except Dumbledore and Co.) that Voldy was back at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              Did anyone else find the lighting throughout the movie to be a bit too dim? Was the dim lighting intentional or did the theater I saw the movie at fail to adjust the projector light properly? I found the need to strain to see a bit dsitracting.
              Moody's fake eye got to be distracting also after awhile.
              There were times when you could tell that alot of the plot either wound up on the editing room floor or didn't even make it into the rough draft of the screenplay. The interplay between the characters needed to be fleshed out at times. Failing at that made the progression of the plot seem rushed and a little choppy at times. I wonder if there will be a "director's edition" of the DVD?

I sense a major plot mistake here too. When Voldemort came back Lucius Malfoy was present at the gathering of his disciples. Harry Potter was present to see Lucius declare his unswerving fealty to Voldemort. Wouldn't that be enough to get him banned to Askerban? How then can his character continue on through the rest of the series as if nothing happened?
              Spoiler:

In the next book, Harry and Dumbledore are both discredited - the Ministry tries to make everyone believe they are fearmongering loonies, and Harry just wants attention. Oh, and that Dumbledore is trying to take over the Ministry of Magic as well.

Comment

Spoiler:
                HARRY POTTER SUCKS... IF YOU ARE OVER THE AGE OF 11 AND YOU SEE THIS AND IT IS NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE KIDS, YOU ARE IN FACT A COMPLETE DORK HAHHAHAHHHAAHAHAH
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  Spoiler:
                  I write Harry Potter erotic fanfic. Wanna link?
                  This is a family site!

Comment

sorry I knew Imran would be interested in it
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I saw this movie, not because I wanted to, but because I had to wait for my gf for 2.5 hrs, I had nothing to do, and was about 1 hrs travel from home.

So, I went to see a movie, the only one playing was HP, I sighed, and watched the movie.

This really is a kids movie, i'm not saying that is a bad thing, but it is a childrens movie; stupid plots, stupid acting, stupid hypes; (i.e., WOAH!!! TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT, THE MOST SCARIEST OF THEM ALL!!!!), if you're a teen or an adult, this can only really be enjoyed if you are enjoying it for children.

Maybe the book makes sense of all the nonsense I saw on the screen.

The best part of the movie was the Superman teaser at the start, from which the audience were getting very excited about.
                      be free

Comment

The books tend to mature as they go on. As Harry gets more perceptive, the reader gets a better sense of what's going on from a more adult perspective.

I'm sure that who wins the mermaid task was the last thing on most adults' minds, but Harry deemed it important at the time. By his 6th year, he's evaluating people, deciding which can be helpful allies, which can be trusted with the information only he and Dumbledore knew, etc. The reader gets told the events basically from Harry's perspective, and a 14-year-old won't talk about the more "adult" dimensions of the story because he doesn't really understand them. I hope that makes some sense.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                          The best part of the movie was the Superman teaser at the start, from which the audience were getting very excited about.
                          You mean the "I've sent you, my only begotten Son, to show them the way?" They're getting a little religious, aren't they? IIRC Superman was sent to Earth because Krypton was dying, not because the Earth needed a messiah. Besides, in what way does Superman show the puny earthlings "the way"? Oh yeah...........get super powers and behave yourselves!

Comment

My dad and I both thought it was stupid. "Superman is Jesus mkII?"

Comment

The new theme is almost Wagnerian. All they need to do now is throw in some demented German author who has an incestuous relationship with his sister.

Comment

Working...
                              X