Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland

Why does UK keep their position and not go for united Ireland? Why is Northern Ireland still such a political mess?

Why don't you just give it up? Why is it so important? Why can't the little guy get his own?

I read something about the Norman Invasion, Ulster Plantation, civil rights and all that jazz. Quite frankly I'm surprised IRA is even in talks with anyone. Not saying I support IRA or their terrorism. Just saying, I'm surprised.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Because slightly more than half of Northern Ireland would have to be forcibly brought into union with Ireland.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The partitioning of the land was BS, the permanent emergency thing was, well maybe not, but the permanency of it back then, and also London acting Kremlin-like. "You had some microscopic power? Oopps sorry, can't have that"...

You know, things happened but what's the problem now? It's not like it's too late to be reasonable.. yes?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

KH, lol, well, if that was true, I think they kind of owe it to them, yes?
        In da butt.

Comment

Are you out of your mind? The British aren't going to abandon 3 million of their citizens who don't want to be ruled over from Dublin.

They fought a war over the home of 2000 of their citizens 23 years ago.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Who said anything about abandoning. Thousand years of injustice is not justified by that statement.
            In da butt.

Comment

Yeah, and what about the people who have lived there for 250 years? They don't get a say in their future?

If so then **** 99% of Israel's Jewish population
              And I guess I'd better go back "home" to Europe too.
              Last edited by KrazyHorse; November 27, 2005, 21:36.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH, wow you sound like those palestinian radicals..

I'm not suggesting that those people who live there should move or anything. Or what, do you suggests that the Irish people keep taking it in the butt like they have for the last 1000 years?
                In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  KH, wow you sound like those palestinian radicals..
                  I'm not taking that position. I'm pointing out why it's ridiculous.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't think it's ridiculous. It should be done in peaceful manner though and not by force.

Well anyway, I'm off to sleep.
                    In da butt.

Comment

So you're saying I should pack my bags for Scotland or France?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        Are you out of your mind? The British aren't going to abandon 3 million of their citizens who don't want to be ruled over from Dublin.
                        3 million? Where are you getting your statistics from?

Why does UK keep their position and not go for united Ireland? Why is Northern Ireland still such a political mess?

Why don't you just give it up? Why is it so important? Why can't the little guy get his own?

I read something about the Norman Invasion, Ulster Plantation, civil rights and all that jazz. Quite frankly I'm surprised IRA is even in talks with anyone. Not saying I support IRA or their terrorism. Just saying, I'm surprised.
                        NI is such a political mess because the British started meddling where they shouldn't have, as they have done in many notable troublespots in the world. It's all the fault of Great Britain. With regard to the actual creation of NI, if they hadn't rigged the Boundary Commission of 1925 they would have been ruling over a far more homogenous population.

That said, things are going quite well in NI at the moment. It's a democracy though, and the majority of people are still against reunification with the ROI, and we have to respect that. With the regime that existed 40 years ago, just before the Troubles, there was every reason for Catholics to want to unite with the South. Thanks to redressing their grievances in the past few years this is no longer such a pressing concern.

I don't really care if NI reunites with the ROI, I just want the solution which is best for everyone up there i.e. that allows them to live in peace.
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by our_man

3 million? Where are you getting your statistics from?
                          Out of my ass, apparently. That number had stuck in my head for some reason. Actual pop. 1.64 mill
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Ireland

Why does UK keep their position and not go for united Ireland?
                            You are assuming that the Republic would actually accept being given the economic black hole that is the North. One day they might, but not yet.
                            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

But I don't know how big support united Ireland even has between the Irish. Unionists are not big fans of Irish Republic involvement in NI, Nationalists, well I think it's easy to guess what they want, UK position is keeping bastard view, and the Irish Republic are technical folks but however remain in position where unification should first have x amount of support in NI, support that apparently isn't there today in numbers that they would also support it. Then again they might be like the global SDP and play all bases just to be sure.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X