Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome...

Since I started my job as a forest worker I´ve felt an increasing numbness in my right hand. I often wake up at night with something resembling a dead chicken at the end of my right arm... This is really annoying and a bit worrying. I´ve had problems before, but not this severe. I have to check this up ASAP. A quick peak at some pages on the internet matches my symptoms to those of CTS.

Anyone else have experience with this condition?
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

I always think that carpal tunnel sounds like something fish swim through
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Do you also think that salmonella can be catched from salmons?

Comment

I never thought of it like that, but it could be true...perhaps that is where the name comes from?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome...

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
          Since I started my job as a forest worker
          Are you using a chainsaw?
          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yes. And that might be causing it. Or at least aggravating it, as I said I´ve had problems with numbness before.

Comment

I've done forestry work, and I have heard from other employees at my job that using such equipment, including chainsaws, can be traumatic - the vibration especially is something the human body really isn't made for. Get your employer to get you a doctor's visit; I don't know if it's carpal tunnel specifically, but it definitely sounds like a work-related problem that needs to be diagnosed and addressed by a proper MD.
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I´ll call a doctor first thing monday. I can only hope I get a appointment this year. The healthcare system in Gothenburg and in Sweden in general is going down the drain...

Comment

I don't think your problem is specifically carpal tunnel syndrome - that is AFAIK more associated with office workers and typing.

There is a specific problem associated with chainsaws, jackhammers and other equipment like that due to the vibration. I can't remember what it is called - white finger syndrome or something like that.

EDIT: I did a google search for white finger syndrome. This was the first hit

and sounds like it is your problem.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of a cure.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

It's called vibration white finger.

Comment

And get your employer to buy you anti-vibration gloves.
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                        It's called vibration white finger.
                        On the plus side it sounds like a disease your girlfriend will appreciate.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                          I don't think your problem is specifically carpal tunnel syndrome - that is AFAIK more associated with office workers and typing.

There is a specific problem associated with chainsaws, jackhammers and other equipment like that due to the vibration. I can't remember what it is called - white finger syndrome or something like that.

EDIT: I did a google search for white finger syndrome. This was the first hit

and sounds like it is your problem.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of a cure.
                          I´ve also done a lot of office work. And when I was unemployed I practically lived in front of the computer... But CTS is not exclusively associated with office work, it also affects those that do monotonous tasks at work. And I´ve done my fair share of that as well. But the only way to make sure is visiting a doctor for a proper diagnose. It sounds more like this http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/c...pal_tunnel.htm

Theben, it´s not that kind of vibration Besides I don´t have a girlfriend...

Cyclotron, anti-vibration gloves are a good idea. I´ll demand it first thing monday!

Comment

The doctor's visit is still the most important part here, though anti-vib gloves won't hurt. Get it checked, uh, before it's wrecked

Comment

That was my plan

Comment

Working...
                              X