Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the American "The Office" eclipsed the British "The Office"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a capture card, i guess i could use that.

I'll usually forget tho.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Ah, I think the hour of "My Name is Earl" and "The Office" is the best night of comedy on American TV (well as long as "Arrested Development is on hiatus ). Brilliant shows.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sunday on Fox gives NBC Tuesday a run for its money, Family Guy has been absolutely hilarious the last couple episodes.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Eh... I find the Family Guy to be above average, but nothing that special. When it comes to animated comedies, I'll take South Park.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

South Park

"Tom Cruise please come out of the closet"
            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Arrested Development is not good... I never understood the appeal of that show. I watched it, and it's just like... it's not funny! The best comedy on TV? Yeah okay... whatever Imran...

It's not even the best comedy on FOX... Malcolm in the Middle is better.

As for The Office? Well that is a great show (the American version). I have never seen the British version so I can't compare. But British humor is not that great. So the American version is probably better. Steve Carrell is awesome. There is no way that any of the British actors are better than him. The only British comedies that are worth a damn are Monty Python and... well... Monty Python... Benny Hill and Mr. Bean are okay. They are kind of goofy. But I can't think of any other British stuff that is good.

As for the best comedy on TV right now? I'd have to say Scrubs (which has been in hiatus for a long time, but is returning soon) or Malcolm in the Middle. The Office and My Name is Earl are really good. They would be in the running for second tier honors.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Eh... I find the Family Guy to be above average, but nothing that special. When it comes to animated comedies, I'll take South Park.

Yeah. Did you see the Gingers episode?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Third season Family Guy was brilliant. The new ones aren't as good.

It's hard to say that the American "The Office" is better than the British version, since the Americans blatantly ripped off so many of the British version's jokes. I also prefer the Brits' somewhat more subtle humo(u)r; Steve Carrell is too unrealistic a character IMO. Also, the Brit cast is more well rounded, wheras Steve Carrell makes "The Office."
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Saw the first season of the US series, it was OK but it wasn't gold. Comparing to the original UK series, the original was superior.

However, I haven't seen the second season of the US Office so.. have to see what happens.

But I doubt it. I think that Imran, being American, needs the pace of jokes to be steady one every 20 seconds, or he gets bored. I feel that he is the reason why the comedy these days is cheap and OK but not great. I feel, that you Imran, you are the reason why we don't get the quality TV we could get.

But anyway, didn't see the second season yet so have to give it a chance first, plus the dude... what's his name, the assistant to the boss whatever dude, I feel he was genious in the US series, I'll give credit to him, while others failed to top their counterparts, but still did OK.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      But British humor is not that great. So the American version is probably better. Steve Carrell is awesome. There is no way that any of the British actors are better than him. The only British comedies that are worth a damn are Monty Python and... well... Monty Python... Benny Hill and Mr. Bean are okay. They are kind of goofy. But I can't think of any other British stuff that is good.
                      Probably because you haven't seen much other British comedy. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Bottom, and Blackadder.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

The best comedy on TV? Yeah okay... whatever Imran...

Yeah, by far. I can watch that show all day long. The only show I'd take over it is Seinfeld, and just barely.

needs the pace of jokes to be steady one every 20 seconds

Have you ever SEEN the US version of "The Office"?

Comment

Did you ever read my post? I said I've seen the first season. It's paced totally differentlyl, and the jokes are driven in differently, to suit the American style, which means faster pace, and there needs to be jokes in certain rhythms, and some of the jokes that were in the UK version are driven differently, the more subtle jokes are forced so it's more obvious it's a joke.

It's still OK, the US version, at least the first season.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

Probably because you haven't seen much other British comedy. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Bottom, and Blackadder.
                            I've seen Fawlty Towers...

haven't heard of the others... although Blackadder rings a bell I might have seen that or have at least heard of it before

I got a lot of international channels when I was lived in my apartment in college. It's possible I have seen it before.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Yeah, by far. I can watch that show all day long. The only show I'd take over it is Seinfeld, and just barely.
                            SERIOUSLY??!?!?

What about that show do you find funny? I am not like ripping on you or anything. I am seriously not understanding this. I mean, we have generally the same taste in shows I think... South Park, The Office, Seinfeld, My Name is Earl...

I just don't get it. I've watched Arrested Development numerous times. My dad likes it also. I just don't find it to be funny.

oh well... it's just one of those things I guess.

I am like that with some stuff. I don't really like the Family Guy. And all of my friends think it is the funniest show of all time. I guess it's just the cliche about different strokes, eh?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              SERIOUSLY??!?!?

What about that show do you find funny? I am not like ripping on you or anything. I am seriously not understanding this. I mean, we have generally the same taste in shows I think... South Park, The Office, Seinfeld, My Name is Earl...

I just don't get it. I've watched Arrested Development numerous times. My dad likes it also. I just don't find it to be funny.

oh well... it's just one of those things I guess.

I am like that with some stuff. I don't really like the Family Guy. And all of my friends think it is the funniest show of all time. I guess it's just the cliche about different strokes, eh?
                              Yeah, seriously! (Btw, your Dad has good taste in humor... I remember the Brokeback Mountain preview thread ) Arrested Development is the type of comedy where jokes build on each other. There will be jokes that reference past episodes, even as far back as Season 1 (as the last episode just did). And it relies on subtle wordplay that you may miss until pointed out (like my favorite joke is one that is fairly obvious: they Bluth family owns a boat called the 'Seaward'. Michael said they have to get rid of the 'Seaward' to GOB and Lucille [the mother] walks by and says "I heard that". The joke being Lucille though Michael was saying that they have to get rid of the 'C-word').

It definetly is a show that rewards a careful viewer, and if you just watch it casually a few times, you may miss a lot of humor (and you may miss it because it has built on the humor of past shows... in some ways its like a Comedy version of 24... you miss one episode, it may hurt your enjoyment for a decent number of episodes later on).

[q=Pekka]Did you ever read my post? I said I've seen the first season. It's paced totally differentlyl, and the jokes are driven in differently, to suit the American style, which means faster pace, and there needs to be jokes in certain rhythms, and some of the jokes that were in the UK version are driven differently, the more subtle jokes are forced so it's more obvious it's a joke.
                              [/q]

I still wonder if you've seen it. I never got that vibe at all. The jokes build up throughout the episode. They aren't at any manner of quick pace and good streaches go by where they are just setting up something that will come to fruition at the end of the episode (such as the jokes they play on Dwight).

Comment

Compared to the original the jokes are fast paced and with different rhythm. You might not notice this if you are not experienced with comedy, especially outside the US. It's like tea and coffee, and also getting Finnish comedy, there's another drink all toegther, they all work differently with timing, pace and sometimes even structure.

I've seen it OK. But I also 'got it' .
                                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X