Girls in Pakistan ordered raped to pay off debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls in Pakistan ordered raped to pay off debt

village council in Pakistan has decreed that five young women should be abducted, raped or killed for refusing to honour childhood "marriages".

The women, who are cousins, were married in absentia by a mullah in their Punjabi village to illiterate sons of their family's enemies in 1996, when they were aged from six to 13.

The marriages were part of a compensation agreement ordered by the village council and reached at gunpoint after the father of one of the girls shot dead a family rival.

The rival families have now called in their "debt", demanding the marriages to the village men are fulfilled.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Tribalism
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

we should respect their differences.

Comment

Oerdin...

I'm curious. You are against the war in Iraq (I pretty much assume so given your anti-Bush anti-Republican leanings nowadays). So am I.

I don't mean to go off-topic here, but this is obviously horrible and barbaric. But, what exactly should we do about this?

I think most of us would agree that many things in the Muslim world are objectionable to the vast majority of us on these forums... regardless of political beliefs. But what is to be done?

And I want serious responses... not just "nuke the mideast". Do we just leave them to do whatever? Can we even do anything? Should we? I get just tired and sick and depressed reading this stuff. Is there anything that can be done to stop this kind of thing?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

We need to give up this PC nonsense about all cultures being equal. They are not equal and we need to stop pretending some things aren't the barbaric garbage they are.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            We need to give up this PC nonsense about all cultures being equal. They are not equal and we need to stop pretending some things aren't the barbaric garbage they are.

okay...............

I am talking more about along the lines of actual policy
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Cultural Relativism:

Comment

We need to give up this PC nonsense about all cultures being equal.
                Duh. If I thought all cultures were truly equal then why would I bother trying to modify the one I live in (i.e. by voting)?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What, b*tch, you don't like my money?!!!
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

to illiterate sons
                    What does this matter to the subject, especially in context?
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

i think that is the root of the problem patroklos. too little education with the common people
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

i think that is the root of the problem patroklos. too little education with the common people

How come? What does the ability to read and write have to do with the legitmacy of rape in society? the link is very indirect.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

we have to respect multiculturalism
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Cultural Relativism:
                            What?

Comment

Islam is a religion of peace!
                              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                              X