Clear All

• Discussing things online (software)

- web forums
    - usenet
    - irc
    - email
    - instant messaging
    - voip

Which of these venues for discussion do you use and which software do you use for which?

I'm curious whether people like specialized software for each, or do they prefer using same software for a couple of things. For example, you can use Thunderbird for: e-mail, RSS, and Usenet. You an use Opera browser for: web, usenet, IRC, e-mail, RSS. Or you can have a specialized piece of software for each purpose. Thanks in advance for the replies.

forums - firefox
    usenet - haven't been on it for a whole, and the web give you access to some of the stuff anyways....
    irc - mirc
    email - gmail - web
    im - trillian
    voip - no voip for me

Comment

forums - firefox
      discussion groups - used to use agent, haven't been on usenet for a very long time, though
      irc - some foss program I found
      email - thunderbird and firefox
      im - gaim
      voip - not yet
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Ups, I forgot to write mine. Here the are:

- web forums: Opera
        - usenet: 40tude Dialog
        - irc: mIRC
        - email: The Bat
        - instant messaging: MSN (I have it installed but don't use it)
        - voip (don't use it)

Comment

Forums: Firefox
          Usenet, RSS: Thunderbird
          IRC: mIRC
          email: webmail through Firefox
          IM: MSN and Skype
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Re: Discussing things online (software)

Opera and MSN.

Most of my Usenet and e-mail use is on the web (Google Groups, Gmail), but I use Opera for both web-based and non web-based.

I occasionally use Firefox as well, and I'm forced to use IE sometimes (like now, at uni ).

I hardly ever use IRC. The only reason I ever use it at all is because it's in Opera.

I don't think I can technically say I use VoIP, but I'm having video conversations and voice chat using MSN. I also use Skype sometimes, basically just when MSN is giving problems.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

What made me do this little poll is... I've found that I waste a lot of time just juggling different software which all serves the same purpose - communication, or more specifically, discussion.

I'm wondering whether covergence of different programs and protocols is the future. There is little difference between email and usenet, that's why you have had combined clients for a long time.

But forums... they need browsers, they display ads, aren't uniform and are a hassle generally.

Is the future in a smart client which will take the data forums provide and display it in your Discussion Aggregator(TM) along with your email and usenet?

Think about all the weird forums you have seen on the web. Threaded, non threaded, php, asp, purchased, home made, good looking, atrocious looking... wouldn't it be cool to have a client which recognizes the structure, and displays every discussion you want to read, wherever it is, whichever protocol it uses - in a uniform way?

Another thing this aggregator would do is automatically check for updates. Clicking F5 to refresh a page is simply so... inefficient.

There is a future for an interface like that, I think.

Comment

(OS X)

- web forums - firefox
                - usenet - unison
                - irc - X-Chat Aqua
                - email - Apple Mail
                - instant messaging - Skype/Proteus
                - voip - Skype

It would be nice to have a forum aggregator that would do that. I already subscribe to automatically generated RSS feeds produced by a PHPBB board that I frequent, which is a stopgap solution.
                mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Re: Discussing things online (software)

- web forums - Firefox
                  - usenet - Firefox/Google Groups
                  - irc - don't use
                  - email - Gmail
                  - instant messaging - don't use
                  - voip - Vonage
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

firefox for forums
                    IRC, i use icechat
                    icq,i just use the program from their site
                    i have trillian configged with msn\aim but it has probs with icq last i tried
                    skype for voice chat
                    dc++ for music and videos and games
                    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

- web forums: Firefox
                      - usenet: On the occasion that I use it, Google Groups with Firefox
                      - irc: irssi
                      - email: Webmail with Firefox, and on occasion mutt
                      - instant messaging: gaim
                      - voip: don't use it

I feel stuck between two worlds here, folks
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                      X