Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other nation's culture do you admire the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys ought to go to China if you like their culture so much.

History isn't all that makes for culture.

Those people are real weird. They're loud and messy at the table. They eat strange stuff. Can't behave. Suppress individual opinion, not just governmental but generally.

Don't be deceived by their "long history as a civilization". They stopped being a civilization a long time ago, and stopped having culture with the ascendance of Mao.

Today Chinese culture sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Az

Ask any american? Yes. However, here as in most cases, there is a difference between the public perception of the origin, and the real origin.
      Of course... but your perception is wrong. American "French are wimps" had nothing to do with De Gaulle and has everything to do with German soldiers on your* soil.

I'm just tellin' ya.

*The royal "you", of course.
      Last edited by JohnT; November 20, 2005, 17:28.

Comment

A whole bunch of countries fell in the hands of the Nazis rapidly. Only one of them is branded "surrender monkeys".
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

It's "CHEESE EATING surrender monkeys" damn you
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
            You guys ought to go to China if you like their culture so much.

History isn't all that makes for culture.

Those people are real weird. They're loud and messy at the table. They eat strange stuff. Can't behave. Suppress individual opinion, not just governmental but generally.
            Aha so that's why they eat all that weird stuff. They started doing it a long time ago, and now no one has the guts to stand up and say "Hey! This is some really bizarre ****! Why are we eating this again?!"

Silly chinese
            CSPA

Comment

But on a sad note, a lot of beautiful things in Chinese culture were destroyed by Mao (yes, the poster here. Shame on you! ). Some never return.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

hmmm, I'm not sure I really "admire" any cultures necessarily

but in terms of politics, economic policy, education, and health care, I echo MrFun's feelings with respect to Western Europe and Scandinavia... and I'll include Canada in this...

They have much more enlightened and progressive attitudes towards such things than people here in America.

The only other thing outside of that stuff that I could say I "admire" is the fact they have nudity on TV in Europe.

Americans are way too uptight about nudity. European commercials can show breastises (and more?)...

that is just awesome
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Canada! They only think that they are enlightened and progressive. It's this attitude that prevents actual enlighten and progressive change from occuring there, since they won't admit the problems to begin with.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Canadians really just want to be americans. They don't count.

Comment

China is such a nice country. Alas it's populated with such awful people.

Comment

Well, I personally like

* Ancient Greece
                        * Ancient Rome
                        * Britain
                        * Germany
                        * Peru (the only country I've been to outside of the US)

Culture I admire? It's hard to say. I don't think I particularly admire any culture more than the US. However, certain peoples around the world impress me tremendously. Particularly Peruvians.
                        I no longer use this account.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          I guess I am with Drogue on a lot of his sentiments, well, except for the whole "national pride" business, since I have 0 tolerance for something so stupid.

Oh, and I guess instead of saying just Italy I would add Spain to the unhurried life view.
                          Mmm... I dont think so. Maybe 30-40 years ago. Today we are as stressed as anybody else.
                          Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

I like the cinematic rendering of Babylon in the MACEDONIAN EPIC MOVIE: Alexander.

Great looking city, great looking food, and GREAT LOOKING HOES
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Modern day: France/Netherlands

Mediaeval: Hanseatic/Venice

Ancient: Sassanid Empire
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                                China is such a nice country. Alas it's populated with such awful people.
                                I'm not jumping to be politically correct, but are you aware how big a sample you would need to meet to make your opinion statistically relevant?

Comment

Working...
                                X