How should US exit Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should US exit Iraq

With the political vote in the house yesterday, it should be expected that the debate on how the US extracts its troops from Iraq will be the hot topic at least until the next election.

Link to MSNBC article on the vote

It seems obvious that the Congress is not for "cutting and running", but what is the best plan for the US? For Iraq? For the world in general?

I would like to keep the debate to how to leave Iraq...not how we got there.
    As soon as they can get packed and out...immediately
    14.71%
    phased withdrawal to be gone before 2006 is up
    35.29%
    Not until stability is restored in Iraq...However long it takes
    41.18%
    Banana! Not another Iraq thread!
    8.82%
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

A phased withdrawl. If we wait until stability is retored in Iraq, we'll be there for 50 years and be a catalyst for violence (they'll direct their anger at us being there). A gradual withdrawl, I think is key.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Phased withdrawal ending in 2010. Yes I think it will take that long.

And if by withdrawal you don't just mean troops but 'advisors' and spies and mercs? My date is an 'all potential targets withdrawn' date.

And it's over a long time period because, even though I disagreed with the illegal nature and disruptive nature of the initial invasion, it's kinda a 'you broke it you bought it' situation now where it would be even worse to just cut losses and run after giving so many assurances. So they should stay until the Iraqi military is credible, native, and legitimate (with 2010 as the cutoff date).

It sucks but more americans will die for Bushs mistake.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

The U.S. has an obligation. And I don't give a **** how many americans die. We ****ed up their country, we should fix it.

I will be really pissed off if our country doesn't clean up the mess we made.

Comment

Phased withdrawal ending in 2010.

Yeah, that's a good ending date for a phased withdrawl.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why 2010?

Why not 2110 instead?

Iraq is never going to stabilize except through a strongman imposing "stability" by force, and as long as we're there, there will be a steady supply of arab nationalists, pissed off relatives of dead arabs, arab jihadi, and bored arab mercenaries who will be happy to try to shoot us or blow us up.

What point is being proven here?

200 billion and 2000 dead, or a trillion and 10,000 dead, we'll still be in the same mode of operations, and meanwhile, our ability to respond forcibly and sustainably to other threats is diminished.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              The U.S. has an obligation. And I don't give a **** how many americans die. We ****ed up their country, we should fix it.

I will be really pissed off if our country doesn't clean up the mess we made.
              Go there and join in, then. Their country was already ****ed up, we just ****ed it up differently, and after we're gone, it'll still be ****ed up.

Not our problem at this point.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

we? Aren't you a mexican now?

Comment

Sí, señor.

Comment

arm the kurds -> 3 state solution -> return home victorious.

Its the only way to un **** the country Dis, the mistake was made a long time ago to group these three cultures together.

Comment

quietly
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: How should US exit Iraq

Run like hell.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                          Why 2010?

Why not 2110 instead?

Iraq is never going to stabilize except through a strongman imposing "stability" by force, and as long as we're there, there will be a steady supply of arab nationalists, pissed off relatives of dead arabs, arab jihadi, and bored arab mercenaries who will be happy to try to shoot us or blow us up.

What point is being proven here?

200 billion and 2000 dead, or a trillion and 10,000 dead, we'll still be in the same mode of operations, and meanwhile, our ability to respond forcibly and sustainably to other threats is diminished.
                          So you are saying to leave when? Immediately?

If a strongman is the only way to stabalize the country, then would it be in the U.S. interest to stay long enough to produce a well trained loyal military for sucha stongman?

Also, are we to consider the political implications of having a strongman that would be produced by Iranian or Syrian influence as opposed to U.S. influence?

While your points are good, they are too limited in the scope of their analysis. The U.S. should consider not only the desired outcome, but most importantly, they should consider the most realistic one they can obtain in their favor.

So, the question remains...how long should U.S. troops stay in order to create a reasonable outcome?
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

with a big bang
                            :-p

Comment

wise man(actually men if u count kurt cobain as "wise") who also killed himself once said:

ITS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY BABY!!!11!!!~~~
                              :-p

Comment

Working...
                              X