No announcement yet.

Toys when you where a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thing about a thread like this, I have a cousin about eight years younger, and he hardly plays with any physical toys, going instead entirely for videogames.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

too many good memories there GT

doing the SPAWN action figures now-a-days
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I remember the glorious days of playing with Legos and Tycos before they came up with the "kits" they have today.

I used my imganiation to make whatever came to my mind with the blocks I had, instead of playing with a "kit."

Also, I want someone to post a picture of this thing called a football.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

can you say lincoln logs

all the kids in the hood combnied their logs to the "community log pile"

talk about building fun
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
            Soviet Legos?
            They were 1.5 times bigger, and employed an identical concept. They came in a big plastic can. I used to build houses out of theem, and then attack those with tanks, and brave soviet jet fighter airplanes. Also I have still had big cubes from when I was a todddler - I used them to build forts. ( My love of strategy gaming came out very early )
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

An entire generation of boys... growing up, playing with dolls.

Is it any wonder that the term "metrosexual" came of age exactly at the same time y'all did?

Comment

Re: Roger Staubach Monday Night Football

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                My first computerized Footbal game
                !

I had one of those - didn't realize it took a microchip to make the field vibrate like that.

This is my all-time favorite, and most important, toy: my very first video game, circa 1976
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                  I remember the glorious days of playing with Legos and Tycos before they came up with the "kits" they have today.
                  They've always had kits, but back in our day they weren't dominant as they seem to be today.

Comment

Bosh

My brother had the same walker model

Of course they spoiled the whole Blacktron, Police and M-Tron colours and design during the nineties.

Gotta love pre-1992 models

Comment

Nowadays, the little wusses have motors attached to these things.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I also enjoyed myself on many of these things. Combine them with a bicycle, a downhill run, and three of your friends lying on their backs on the other side, praying that you make it (I did), and you have enough excitement to have four sets of parents yell at you, with one claiming that "I'll never allow my son to play with you again!"

Of course, I never went to the effort of actually building a bike ramp - I usually used a trash can and a big piece of wood.
                        Attached Files

Comment

When I was 11 I built a tree house that was 17 feet in the air. About 15 feet in front of the tree house was a tree with a really think branch perpendicular from your line of sight... really thick.

So I went to Scotty's (an old lumber supply chain) and scrounged up some good, thick rope and, gathering some of the older kids for assistance, we scrambled up the other tree and tied the rope to the branch. After a while, we finally got the thing ready.

Now that we had the rope, we could build the jump-off board. So, about the same level as the treehouse, we built a pad where one of us could stand on it, have the rope heaved to us by another, and use it as a launch pad, aiming for the trampoline that was about 25 feet away and 10 feet down.

Hell, it's easier just to draw a picture:

This provided many hours of amusement and a few moments of unconsciousness to all of us. It was the sort of thing that brought all the kids together - big ones, small ones, the geeks and the jocks. "Have you done the trampoline jump at JohnT's house?" I received surprisingly little complaints about it from the other parents - I think by then they were just resigned to me.

Way cool. Far cooler than playing with dolls, that's for damn sure!
                          Last edited by JohnT; November 20, 2005, 06:20.

Comment

I had a big cardboard box of old lego, just different pieces in lots of different colours. A child with some imagination can have lots of fun with that.
                            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Hey don't forget firecrackers, cherry bombs, M-80s, homemade pipebombs and homemade cannons. You're not a real boy until you've fired a projectile from a weapon made by your own hands into a vacant cottage across the valley.

Well, at least it had been vacant the week before. Who'd have thought the place was going to be rented out to tenant farmers?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Oh, so many to name...

GI Jos were my main action figures.

Lego's for sure, and clay- god, I made such messes with modeling clay in the house, not that playdoh crap, but real oil based clays-messy.

Also had lots of plastic toy soldiers.

BUt anything could become a toy- furniture, refirgerator magnets..as a very young kid I drew on the walls..
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X