Cop killing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop killing

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

According to the article the UK appears to be running at less than one police officer a year being killed in the line of duty. That seems remarkably low, and makes it headline news when it does happen.

I guess it typified in the fact that I thought the headline Vow to 'track down' Pc's killer was actually a reference to a murder perpetrated by an internet freak or some other obscure reference.

What's the rate of death in the US (which I presume is relatively high due to drug and gun crime) and elsewhere?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

It must be because our bobbies are actually ninjas
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

About 150 cops are killed each year in the line of duty in the US. That includes cops getting into accidents, though.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I recieve dual signals about British coppers. On one hand, they are unarmed and only about 1 is killed on duty each year. On the other hand, when they get nervous, they can easily shoot an innocent guy in the head 5-10 times without even getting a restriction. Or was that the SAS disguised as Bobbies?
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

5-10 times with exploding bullets last time I heard

understandably these unfortunate incidents are few and far between
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

It makes headline news here in the US, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              About 150 cops are killed each year in the line of duty in the US. That includes cops getting into accidents, though.
              Not trolling here ok.

Somehow I expected that number to be (much) higher.

Bad television...bad...bad television!!!

No idea on the situation is in Belgium, every murder is a main topic on national news here, so I'd say the number is pretty low.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

yeah not that many are killed. And it doesn't really make national news when one is killed. But it will dominate local news for a while.

I can't even remember the last time a cop was killed (murdered I should say- I'm not including accidents) in the line of duty in my city. And my city isn't a peaceful city. We used to be run by the mafia.

How many times the population of England is the U.S.? It may work out to be the same ratio. Or maybe the U.S. is a little higher. Not bad considering how many guns are out there.

And most of the incidents of guys firing at cops are actually suicide by cop ploys. Guys who don't have the guts to kill themselves, so they point a gun and sometimes shoot at cops.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Not trolling here ok.

Somehow I expected that number to be (much) higher.

Bad television...bad...bad television!!!

No idea on the situation is in Belgium, every murder is a main topic on national news here, so I'd say the number is pretty low.
                  No offense taken.

Why would you think the bad guys are so stupid as to start plinking cops?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

No offense taken.

Why would you think the bad guys are so stupid as to start plinking cops?
                    probably listening to too many rap music lyrics.

Although the most notable song isn't rap (despite what the stupid media called it). Body Count- cop killer. Excellent song. . But it's not rap. Just because Ice-T is singing it doesn't make it rap. It was annoying having to look in the rap music section of music stores to find Body Count albums.

Comment

Killing cops is pretty rare here as well, and is front page news. My guess is that the rate is about the same as in Britain, maybe twice that.
                      The same thing must be said for cops shooting suspects. Cops rarely shoot to kill. Even the guy who murdered Theo van Gogh was only shot in the leg, and he shot to kill cops, hoping for a martyrs-death.
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

One Asian, two black guys...dear oh dear.

Last 2 killings of Police I know of, one was by that American **** from Florida and the other by that Algerian caught up in the Ricin plot in Manchester.

Alot of people up here in Yorkshire are pretty angry about these shootings, does not do "community relations" any good whatsoever.

Comment

I guess this means -- arguments by the NRA aside -- a gun-totin' population isn't necessarily a safer population.

Comment

i think it's safe to assume that a number of british police get killed each year in the line of duty in car crashs and other accidents, though i don't have any statistics on this.

the comparison should be the number of police murdered in the line of duty each year.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I would have thought the US figure higher than 150 a year, but that is probably more than correct.

According to this site, since its inception, 701 officers of the NYPD have been killed, and it probably has always been the biggest department in the United States.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X