X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentum builds for fence along U.S.-Mexican border

By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY
    Thu Nov 17, 8:02 AM ET

A once-radical idea to build a 2,000-mile steel-and-wire fence on the U.S.-Mexican border is gaining momentum amid warnings that terrorists can easily sneak into the country.

In Congress, a powerful Republican lawmaker this week proposed building such a fence across the entire border and two dozen other lawmakers signed on. And via the Internet, a group called weneedafence.com has raised enough money to air TV ads warning that the border is open to terrorists.

Even at the
    Homeland SecurityDepartment, which opposes building a border-long fence, Secretary
    Michael Chertoff this fall waived environmental laws so that construction can continue on a 14-mile section of fence near San Diego that has helped border agents stem the flow of illegal migrants and drug runners.

"You have to be able to enforce your borders," says California Rep. Duncan Hunter (news, bio, voting record), the Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. He's proposing a fence from San Diego to Brownsville, Texas. "It's no longer just an immigration issue. It's now a national security issue."

Colin Hanna of weneedafence.com says "there is incredible momentum on this issue," fueled by the specter of another Sept. 11. His group aired TV ads in Washington, D.C., this fall and plans more next year.

Fencing the border, originally proposed in the debate over how to stop illegal immigration, is controversial. The Bush administration argues that a Berlin Wall-style barrier would be a huge waste of money - costing up to $8 billion.

Border Patrol Chief David Aguilar says it makes more sense to use a mix of additional agents, better surveillance and tougher enforcement of immigration laws - and fences.

But Hunter points to the experience in San Diego, where the number of illegal migrants arrested is one-sixth of what it was before the fence was built.

"People have made stupid editorial comments about the Great Wall of China," he says, "but the only thing that has worked is that fence."

Built Ford Tough
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

If I lived next door to Texas I'd want a fence as well!

Comment

Yeah I see no problem with that, why not electrify it and build machine gun towers as well...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Let me make note of that idea.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Because terrorists are too stupid to come in through Canada? Or Miami? Or JFK?

Dumb idea with an even more idiotic rationalization:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Because terrorists are too stupid to come in through Canada? Or Miami? Or JFK?

Dumb idea with an even more idiotic rationalization:
            It's not just terrorist they hope to keep out.. or did you neglect to read the entire article.

Pick out something to be negative about to overlook anything positive.
            One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

This is awesome guys!

If we get a fence there, then this means the illegal immigrants will have something to climb over to get across our border! What a brilliant idea -- I mean a fence is COMPLETELY IMPENETRABLE.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Keeping out "outsiders" from this country, the greatest collection of immigrants in the world.

"Oh no! Too many little brown people are running around!"

Comment

****ing using "Berlin Wall" comparisons with US policy.

Might as well torture POW's.

Comment

Originally posted by Playful
                    It's not just terrorist they hope to keep out.. or did you neglect to read the entire article.

Pick out something to be negative about to overlook anything positive.
                    Yep, keep those evil Canucks out too! Time to buy shares in a reputable fence-making company - I know a good one in Israel!

Comment

OMFG!!!!! Teh beRLin WalL ANaLaGY is TeH EVil!!!!

Comment

You are so eaten up with it, John.
                        Romanians and Ethiopians and Portugese and Italians and Salvadorans all have a process to go through.
                        Where are you? Do you even have a frame of reference, or merely smacking your gums together?

Mr. Fun, I have no response for, because his hobby is being a disagreeable moron.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

"Oh no! Too many little brown people are running around!"

Tell me.. have you ever been passed over for a job when you are a legal citizen so they could give it to an illegal immigrant? They can pay them less. Meanwhile, you are without a job and they are getting the paycheck and not even a citizen.
                          One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Mr. Fun, I have no response for, because his hobby is being a disagreeable moron.
                            You just responded by posting that you wouldn't respond.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              This is awesome guys!

If we get a fence there, then this means the illegal immigrants will have something to climb over to get across our border! What a brilliant idea -- I mean a fence is COMPLETELY IMPENETRABLE.
                              Screw that, why not get illegals to apply to do an assault course - those that make it under a certain time can get citizenship by joining the army, thus making up for the recruiting shortfall that the US army is experiencing...

Maybe they'll even get killed in Iraq and the US won't have to make them citizens after all...

Comment

Working...
                              X