Democrats starting to ignore corporate lobbyists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrats starting to ignore corporate lobbyists

Chairman Dean is indeed leading the Democrats into a better place, and that place is one where corporate fatcats can be ignored in the place of small, individual contributions:

In response,

Why are House Democrats' efforts to distance themselves from K Street corporate lobbyists being portrayed as a problem?

That's the question I have after reading today's Hill Newspaper story in which the political establishment disgustingly portrays House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's independence from K Street as some sort of negative trait. The story says "lobbyists are grumbling that they have not been enjoying the same access to Pelosi as they have in the past." These lobbyists are used to lawmakers "run[ning] plans past K Street early to avoid any surprises or disagreements farther down the line." That's a euphemism for Corporate America expecting the people's representatives to make sure to get Big Business's stamp of approval on every potential piece of legislation.

Pelosi, of course, should be congratulated for her independence, especially since we're living through the Republicans' "Culture of Corruption" whereby K Street essentially dictates everything that our government does. As just one example, the Washington Post notes that the House of Representatives is run by Roy Blunt (R-MO), a guy who has maximized his "influence by delegating authority to Washington business and trade association lobbyists to help negotiate deals with individual House members to produce majorities on important issues."

The answer to my original question, of course, is clear - the reason Pelosi's independence is considered a problem in the Beltway is because those in the Beltway's political establishment have entirely different priorities than ordinary people in the rest of the country. In Washington, a lack of independence is actually valued. Pelosi actually thinking and leading on her own is considered taboo. Rep. George Miller (D-CA), who the Hill notes "has often been averse to the lobbying community" and has proposed tightening lobbying rules, is looked upon negatively. Meanwhile, people like House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) are applauded in the Beltway for "hold[ing] regular meetings with lobbyists" and publicly "[seeking] to make himself the first contact for K Street," regardless of how that image undermines Democrats' ability to question the GOP's proximity to corporate lobbyists.

To be sure, this skewed value system in D.C. is being rejected by Democrats outside the beltway. Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer (D) and New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch (D), for instance, have both demanded serious lobbying reforms in their states. Similarly, lawmakers in the newly-Democratic Colorado legislature pushed a lobbying crackdown in the last legislative session. These folks understand the powerful potential of actually getting serious about cleaning up government, and pushing for true reform, even if it means going up against Big Money interests.

Let's hope that these terrific efforts outside the Beltway will encourage people like Pelosi, Miller and Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) to continue standing their ground; rejecting pay-to-play, K Street-dominated politics; and reshaping the Democratic Party into a vessel of real reform.
    A recent hit piece by the WaPo on Dean, heavily sourcing DLC insiders, tried to claim Dean was disappointing in his fundraising because the Republicans currently have a 2-1 advantage in cash raised over the Democrats. This ignored the fact that at this point in 2001, the Democrats under McAwful--er, McAulliffe were at a 3-1 disadvantage. Dean is outperforming his predecessor by a significant margin, and his 50-state strategy is already paying dividends (particularly in the West).

When chastised by a lobbyist as to why he wasn't spending more time in Washington schmoozing, Dean responded, "Can't spend time in Washington--no voters there."

I think the Dems waking up and beginning to ignore the corporate lobbyists is an excellent trend that I sincerely hope continues. They are positioning themselves excellently to be the party of real, meaningful reform.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Howard Dean

Dems were stupid not to nominate him.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I was cautiously optimistic when Dean became chairman; nice to see that the optimism may have been warranted.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
        Howard Dean

Dems were stupid not to nominate him.
        Nah, he doesn't have the temperment for national electoral politics, any more than Gingrich did on the GOP side. But that doesn't mean he can't lead; this is a great role for him.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Dean pwnz
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Give 'em hell Howie:

I bet the Republican-lite, corporate whore DLCers are b*tching, complaining that Dean's giving the Dems a spine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Nah, he doesn't have the temperment for national electoral politics, any more than Gingrich did on the GOP side. But that doesn't mean he can't lead; this is a great role for him.
              Bah, his yelling was a plus

He isn't like Gingrich at all.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Also we gotta give mad props to Pelosi, I've always like her alot.

Plus the neocons, Reactionaries, etc. have demonized her so you know she's gotta be good.

(One pic of her I saw where they photoshopped her head onto some lady wearing lingerie and carrying a whip!) LOL!!!!!!
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This ignored the fact that at this point in 2001, the Democrats under McAwful--er, McAulliffe were at a 3-1 disadvantage.
                  Actually, the WaPo piece did mention that.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Actually, the WaPo piece did mention that.
                    I was referring to the kvetching by the DLC insiders.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I raise money for candidates and work for a lobbying firm. Am I doublely evil?
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Yes.
                        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Does that mean I shouldn't say that the team I work on helped raise almost 20k very recently for Rick Santorum or 20k this morning for a congresman and 10k tonight for an unnamed Senator?

Somehow I don't see myself as what's wrong with politics. I'm more like the grease that keeps the gears of poliitics spinning.

Comment

The problem is that grease works against the interests of the majority of the population and for the interests of a few corporations.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Grease is grease. There is nothing that substantially differentiates Unions and other organizations from corporate contributions.

And just becasue it's corporate doesn't mean it's bad. For instance, one of the attendees for a fundraiser this morning works for a tax preparing company. He brought up the issue that the IRS is working to a return free system (the IRS does your taxes and hands you a bill). The lobbyist presented his point that although preventing the IRS from doing that would help his coporation, he also pointed out that there would be substantial conflict of interest in the IRS preparing and collecting taxes. This kind of thing goes on every day. Quite often coporate interests that are promoted on the federal level are also helpful to the population at large. People paint with a broad brush because they don't understand how it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X