Need some basic mathematics help, yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zylka

I've already accounted for thicknesses in arriving at each elements' R.

As they have been arrived - element 1 has a 4.7% worth of the entire walls' insulative valie. Element 2 has a 3.9% worth of the entire walls' insulative value.

Using the forumla you find correct - the first element (thickness and Btu already accounted for), with a HIGHER proportion of the walls' overall insulation - LOSES more temperature than the lesser element of 3.9%. That does not make sense.
    TEMPERATURE DOES NOT EQUAL HEAT. ALL SEGMENTS OF THE WALL ARE SEEING THE SAME HEAT FLOW THROUGH THEM.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

NO. THE FORMULA IS CORRECT. THICKER LAYERS OF INSULATION HAVE A GREATER CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE ACROSS THEM.
      THE PERCENTAGE PROPORTIONS ARE NOT THICKNESS BASED.

The way I'm being asked to do this; a 1 inch layer of fibreglass will lose MORE temperature than a 1 inch layer of steel.

Let's do it this way:

Outside temp = -30, inside temp +22

If a 1 inch layer of fibreglass made up 90% of a walls overall insulative value, and a 1 inch layer of steel made up the other %10 - would you therefore say that the layer of fibreglass LOSES 46.8 degrees while the steel loses the final 5.2? Of course you wouldn't.

Comment

Just trust the ****ing formula, Zylka. It makes perfect sense. I've rederived it for you from the beginning. If you still don't believe it then that's your problem.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

THE PERCENTAGE PROPORTIONS ARE NOT THICKNESS BASED.
          a) THEY BETTER DAMN WELL DEPEND ON THE THICKNESS OF EACH LAYER; R value = specific insulation value * thickness

b) IT DOESN'T MATTER.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If a 1 inch layer of fibreglass made up 90% of a walls overall insulative value, and a 1 inch layer of steel made up the other %10 - would you therefore say that the layer of fibreglass LOSES 46.8 degrees while the steel loses the final 5.2? Of course you wouldn't.
            YES I WOULD. STEEL IS A BAD INSULATOR. THEREFORE IT IS A GOOD CONDUCTOR. THEREFORE THE TEMPERATURE ACROSS A THIN LAYER OF STEEL IS RELATIVELY CONSTANT.

But **** it; I'm just a physicist. What the **** do I know about thermodynamics...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Comment

What if the building was on Pluto?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So you would indeed say that a 1 inch section of fibreglass would lose more than a 1 inch section of steel, if the fibreglass is quoted as 9 times more insulative?
                  Lose more what, you freak? Temperature?

Bullsh*t. If you don't know what you're doing wrong, I'll explain it to you after finding out tommorrow

Come back and apologise after your teacher tells you the formula is ****ing correct.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Zylka, bigger temperature deltas are an indicator that it's a better insulator. Remember, you're measuring insulation--those deltas aren't being lost, they're being retained.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Lose more what, you freak? Temperature?

Come back and apologise after your teacher tells you the formula is ****ing correct.
                      Alright, alright

So in this wall section, you would say that:

The temperature in the first section [cedar panels worth 4.7% of total insulation] drops 2.9 degrees; from 22degrees to 19.1 degrees.

From there, in the second section [gypsum board worth 3.9% of total insulation] the temperature drops an additional 2.4 degrees down to 16.7 degrees.

In the third section [An air space worth 45.5% of the total insulation] the temperature drops 23.7 degrees, or down to -7 degrees

(etc.)

It seems absolutely ridiculous to assert that something worth MORE of an overall insulative value is going to see a relative INCREASE in temperature drop..

Zylka, bigger temperature deltas are an indicator that it's a better insulator. Remember, you're measuring insulation--those deltas aren't being lost, they're being retained.
                      err

Comment

I guess this visually confirms what you're arguing, KH. Rather than apologize though, I'm just going to call you a *ing jewbag and punch you in the teeth

PS. Habs are going nowhere

Comment

I LIKE TO TYPE IN ALL-CAPS. IS IT ALRIGHT WITH YOU GUYS IF I USE THIS THREAD TO DO IT?
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                          X