"Cool Mom" Gets Thirty Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cool Mom" Gets Thirty Years

GOLDEN - An Arvada mother tearfully apologized Monday and was sentenced to 30 years in prison for hosting sex-and-alcohol parties for teenagers.

Additional Resources...
    Woman known as "Cool Mom" back in jail
    "Cool Mom" leaving hospital, bail set at $550,000
    Woman who wanted to be "cool mom" pleads guilty to sex assault
    Watch the taped police interview with Sylvia Johnson. 9News Reporter Chris Vanderveen says Silvia Johnson was given a 30-year prison sentence for her crimes. 5 p.m. November 14, 2005. Sylvia Johnson apologizes at the sentencing. Nov. 14, 2005.

Silvia Johnson, 41, pleaded guilty earlier this year to two counts of sexual assault, and nine counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Prosecutors said between 2003 and 2004, Johnson held 15 to 20 parties at her home and gave teens alcohol, marijuana and methamphetamines. She also confessed to having sex with two of the teenage boys.

Parents of the boys that Johnson assaulted were in court to testify Monday. The prosecution described her as perverse and a manipulator.

But a defense expert pointed to Johnson's history of mental problems and said that she is bi-polar.

District Court Judge Peter Weir said while sympathizing with her mental illness, it still didn't excuse what she did. He said giving teens meth was "unconscionable" and he called some of her other behavior "selfish."

Johnson cried through much of the proceedings and also offered an apology. "I'm very sorry for what I've done," she said to the court. "You know it was a year ago that some of that arrogance and nonsense did exist, but it doesn't anymore.

"I've learned my lessons. I know I've hurt so many people. Not just the boys, but my own family. I've let down myself, my community, just everybody, and I know that I have a serious mental illness."

Johnson was to have been sentenced September 26th, but that hearing had to be postponed after a serious traffic accident a day earlier. She and three children were hurt when the SUV they were riding in rolled down an embankment along Interstate 25.

A 14-year-old girl was behind the wheel, and one of the other children inside was Johnson's son.

Johnson was hospitalized after the crash. Once released, she was returned to the Jefferson County Detention Facility. She faces additional charges in connection with the SUV crash.

In a taped police interview, Johnson admitted inviting underage students to her home for the parties because she wanted her daughter's friends to think of her as a "the cool mom."

In the interview released to the media, Johnson says, "I fell in love with being a part of the group in a way.

"Because that was never something (inaudible), never something I was a part of growing up. I was never in the popular group."

Johnson also said in that interview that she resented what she described as a double standard for men and women. "I think what I always had a hard time with is guys who do it are considered studs," she said. "A girl does it, she's considered a slut."

THIRTY YEARS!?

Did I miss the part where she cut up a couple of the kids and hid them under the porch?

Dying in prison seems just a little harsh...
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Johnson held 15 to 20 parties at her home and gave teens alcohol, marijuana and methamphetamines. She also confessed to having sex with two of the teenage boys.

Parents of the boys that Johnson assaulted...
      That's highly irresponsible behavior, and something had to be done... but 30 years is quite harsh.

And another thing... who here things those boys were "assaulted" ? Stiffler's mom!

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I don't think I'd find my mom cool if she invited over my underage friends, fed them booze and drugs and had sex with them when I was in high school, but maybe that's just me.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Everything in this case seems so ridiculous.

1) why would the boys claim they were 'assaulted'? I bet they were manipulated into it

2) giving drugs to someone is barely a crime - it's not even traffic.

Comment

In any event, I think we're going to need pictures if we're really going to be able to fantasi... er, talk intelligently about this.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Giving drugs to MINORS is most certainly a crime.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Morals are still alive up and well in America

Comment

It all started going downhill when the mall started opening on Sundays...

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                    In any event, I think we're going to need pictures if we're really going to be able to fantasi... er, talk intelligently about this.
                    No...no you don't.

Trust me.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Giving drugs to MINORS is most certainly a crime.

-Arrian
                      Drugs are illegal anyway, so unless there is a specific provision in the law saying that it's worse to sell it to a minor than it is to an adult, it's probably a case of the judge using every legal pretext he had to express his moral outrage at the woman.

After all, when I was a minor, I was given a few times drugs by people older than me. No need to get all crazy over that and sentence her to 30 ****ING years!

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                        1) why would the boys claim they were 'assaulted'? I bet they were manipulated into it
                        Depending on the state, sex with a minor (or sex with a minor under a certain age) is always "sexual assault" regardless of whether the minor gave consent. It probably doesn't help her case that the minors were likely drunk/high/tweaked at the time, which would call into question their ability to give consent even if they weren't minors.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

30 years!
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

People might be tired of the endless debate about drugs legalization, but that's another case of state punishment worsening a problem, not solving it. The woman will spend her life in jail, where she will probably become even more addicted to drugs. The boy will be traumatized and near-orphan, a perfect recipe for social failure.

The money spent on keeping her in jail would be much better spent on programs to help drug addicts and take care of their children, etc.

Comment

replace mom with dad, replace boys with girls. Even still 30 years seems kind of harsh though..
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X