Software Reliability with Mac Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Reliability with Mac Computers

Many people are having problems running Civilization 4 (and other programs) because PCs are built using so many different components from many different companies. Civ 4 runs fine on one computer but won't run at all on another computer with similar specifications but slightly different hardware. That is frustrating.

I was reading an article today about how Apple builds all the hardware and all the software so they don't have that kind of problem. Does it really work? If a game is developed or ported for Mac then will it run with no difficulties because all Mac computers are the same?

It's sometimes tempting to buy a Mac but games I like are released so late or never at all.
    Formerly known as Masuro.
    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Macs cost more than the average pc because of that specific hardware and software they they buy.

I've never heard of anybody complaining about stability or driver issues with a Mac.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

One advantage with Mac OSX is you can install FOSS software on it, so you gain access to a vast amount of programs free of charge.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Buying Mac products actually means paying more for design and stability/immunity to malware
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

What is FOSS?

Comment

Free and Open Source. Examples: Firebox, Thunderbird, Apache, Eclipse.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I see. Are there any programs that allow PC games or other software to be used on the Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                One advantage with Mac OSX is you can install FOSS software on it, so you gain access to a vast amount of programs free of charge.
                Words cannot describe the stupidity of this statement.

Do you understand the meaning of "advantage"?

How is that an advantage when it is a trait of virtually every operating system ever developed?

I see. Are there any programs that allow PC games or other software to be used on the Mac?
                No, and if there was it'd be unreliable.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Isn't the load of open source stuff made for Unix available to OSX?
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Much of it is, but virtually all of it is available to Windows as well.

Every single one of UR's examples have Windows versions, for example.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: Software Reliability with Mac Computers

Originally posted by Masuro
                      I was reading an article today about how Apple builds all the hardware and all the software so they don't have that kind of problem. Does it really work? If a game is developed or ported for Mac then will it run with no difficulties because all Mac computers are the same?
                      Yes.

I have never had any problem with any Mac Game. Any bugs tend to be shared by the Windows version.

There isn't the wide variety of games that you can get if you run Windows. But I get most of the ones I want to play, and I don't care about waiting (it took me forever to get WoW, even though the Mac and Windows versions were released simultaneously).

Apple makes lovely computers that are a joy to use. And still virus and spyware free after 4 years.

Not bad.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Netscape is spyware and is on the Mac.

Comment

Why do you even bother Asher? I've had you on ignore for months now, primarily because you have demonstrated yourself to be an utter cretin, and wrong in almost every prediction you have made.

Very little of your endless sludge makes it my way, and the little that does is cause for hilarity.

Adding more people to my list of dopes has improved Apolyton immensely.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Agathon's post is why Mac Users aren't the mainstream. They plug their ears when anything bad is said about their platform.

Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Words cannot describe the stupidity of this statement.
                              When people make mistakes or say something you don't agree with it's fine to tell them, but please let's keep it civil.

Comment

Working...
                              X