Freewill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewill

I think the fact firemen and rescue dogs will go into a burning building is proof of freewill. The natural reaction is to get away from fire and for good reason. So what is freewill if not overcoming our instincts by creating a choice?

Re: Freewill

Originally posted by Berzerker
    I think the fact firemen and rescue dogs will go into a burning building is proof of freewill. The natural reaction is to get away from fire and for good reason. So what is freewill if not overcoming our instincts by creating a choice?
    Bull. God makes firemen and rescue dogs do those things.

Just like God made you post this thread, to sort out who would be saved and who would be damned.

See you in hell...NOT!

Sorry; didn't man to be rude. God made me type that.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

firemen and rescue dogs are trained to respond to those situations...

DUH!!!
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Of course, but I'm not and I'd run into a burning building to save someone and I'd bet my dog would follow me. Training merely removes some of the fear of the unknown, not the fear of the known. That takes freewill to overcome.

Comment

Free Willy
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
              Free Willy

Just don't get it twisted.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Freewill IS creating a number of choices out of a situation. The training firefighters receive allows them to create more choices than somebody who's natural respose is to flee.

The person with no training has less choice than the trained person.

The complexity comes in after the firefighter has the choice of fighting the fire, or running away. The firefighter will refuse to run as it is "his job" to fight it. IOW he is "forced" to pick one choice, whether he likes it or not.

In the end the person who is trained and the person who has the training have the same amount of freewill in that situation. Very little.

Comment

Comment

Ted Striker: The Homestar Runner of Apolyton.
                      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Comment

Of course, but I'm not and I'd run into a burning building to save someone and I'd bet my dog would follow me. Training merely removes some of the fear of the unknown, not the fear of the known. That takes freewill to overcome.
                          my point is... they are not thinking about it... it is not like they are sitting down and making a choice...

they are just REACTING TO A SITUATION due to the training they have received...

it is not a question of free will at all
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

But we aren't trained to flee a fire, its instinctive. Training has nothing to do with the choice being created by freewill. Both the trained and untrained have that choice.

The complexity comes in after the firefighter has the choice of fighting the fire, or running away. The firefighter will refuse to run as it is "his job" to fight it. IOW he is "forced" to pick one choice, whether he likes it or not.
                            He chose the job.

Comment

Your example only shows that the scope of possible reactions to a situation is larger than pure passions would let. It isn't a "demonstration" of free will.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                              X