Content management systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Content management systems

Has anybody used a FOSS content management system such as Drupal or XOOPS? I am looking for something that are:

1. Based on LAMP (Linux, Apahe, MySQL, PHP)
    2. Doesn't need a lot of configuration to put it into production
    3. Handles Unicode and multi-byte characters

Do you have any recommendations? Thanks.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Mind if I ask what exactly is a CMS?
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I use e107 (www.e107.org) and it works very good.

Comment

Basically a CMS is a suite of programs that let you concentrate on adding contents (articles, photos, etc.) to your website without programming. Many are very complicated and handle loads of things such as blogs, RSS feeds, forums, etc.

Of course, nobody knows what exactly a CMS is. It is just slightly less fuzzy than ERP.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

There is a great site at http://opensourcecms.com/ where you can test different systems and see which suits you best. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Hey thanks for the link.

I've been looking at that too.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

dotproject was the BOMB but then a new team came in and totally changed it around into some new project with an entire new interface that sucks balls.

The orignal interface looked like Outlook and had an intutive feel too it.

I think some Linux geek was just upset that it looked too much like Microsoft product.

ZOMG not Microsoft!!!
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Great link. Thanks Vet.

Comment

Real men write their own CMS.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Go away, you

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                      Real men write their own CMS.
                      QFT. Urban Ranger isn't a coder though, he's an IT monkey. Why innovate when you can duplicate.

That said, there are lots of good CMS out there. I'm surprised people still are on the PHP bandwagon, the industry is heading elsewhere.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Writing own CMS is duplicating work. No programmer whose time is worth something will repeat what has already been done very well. Better do something you enjoy or something you can sell instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          That said, there are lots of good CMS out there. I'm surprised people still are on the PHP bandwagon, the industry is heading elsewhere.
                          Oh? Where *is* it heading? AJAX? But that doesn't replace server-side scripting, does it?

(I'm not really following things too closely)
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Re: Content management systems

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Has anybody used a FOSS content management system such as Drupal or XOOPS? I am looking for something that are:

1. Based on LAMP (Linux, Apahe, MySQL, PHP)
                            2. Doesn't need a lot of configuration to put it into production
                            3. Handles Unicode and multi-byte characters

Do you have any recommendations? Thanks.
                            I didn't know you spoke Greek
                            CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                              Writing own CMS is duplicating work. No programmer whose time is worth something will repeat what has already been done very well. Better do something you enjoy or something you can sell instead.
                              QFT.

Don't mind Asher. He has been desperately trying to show that he is, um, "superior."

Comment

Working...
                              X