No announcement yet.

Your beleifs.. from your parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents Lutheran (#1 in here) and so am I.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      I'm fascinated that atheist/athiest is winning, and organized/athiest is in second place. Apparently, athiest parents have an easier time transmitting family values.

Anyway, for me it's practicing/nonorganized; parents churchgoing Catholics, me deist flirting with Buddhism.

(Just our of curiosity: my sister also ran screaming from the arms of the One True Church, and is now a Unitarian; is she different-organized or nonorganized?)
      unitarrian can be either

and yes, this does show what I suspected...

growing up in an atheist house is more biasing then growing up in a christian one..

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        I tend to think of going from Reform Judaism to ultraorthodox as going from organized to disorganized

Reform(esp if its a shul of German Jewish origin) : The service WILL start at 10AM. Luncheon WILL be served at Noon. Arrive late, and dont eat.

Ultraorthodox:Its 10 PM, Im starving - we cant eat till uncle Shlomo gets back from shul - but MY shul finished at 9 PM - well Uncle Schlomos shul they go slowly, and sometimes he stops to talk with his friends before coming home - grrr, looks at watch.
        well, yeah.. but that is the service

it isn't whta I am refering to by organized..disorganised

I mean the religion.. is there stuff held in common.. is there a group of beleivers.. etc

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

unitarrian can be either

and yes, this does show what I suspected...

growing up in an atheist house is more biasing then growing up in a christian one..

JM
          I wouldn't call it bias. One could just as easily conclude that, unless you indoctrinate children into religious belief when young, they will not develop it on their own later in life. That's not bias; rather, it suggests that religion generally relies on ignorance (in the literal sense) in order to take root.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

but if they are raised in a religion.. they are likely to end up all sorts of things.. (I claim this site is a bit slewed towards atheists)

while if you start as atheist you don't change...

this shows that atheism is the most strongly biasing beleif system to be brought up in...

even if something is right, it is still biasing..

I am arguing against Sava's suggestion that atheism was the least biasing system to be brought up in

the rightness or wrongness of religion is not the intended discussion point of this thread

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              I tend to think of going from Reform Judaism to ultraorthodox as going from organized to disorganized

Reform(esp if its a shul of German Jewish origin) : The service WILL start at 10AM. Luncheon WILL be served at Noon. Arrive late, and dont eat.

Ultraorthodox:Its 10 PM, Im starving - we cant eat till uncle Shlomo gets back from shul - but MY shul finished at 9 PM - well Uncle Schlomos shul they go slowly, and sometimes he stops to talk with his friends before coming home - grrr, looks at watch.

'Tis true.

Comment

Parents are somewhat superstitious, I am a positive atheist.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Oh, I forgot to make this clear for people who aren't sure about me.

I am officially agnostic.

I am not a hard atheist.

I do not accept the fact that there is 100% for sure no God. I leave my mind open to the possibility.

However, I do find the idea of a God to be rather silly.

Any questions?

Okay.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

but if they are raised in a religion.. they are likely to end up all sorts of things.. (I claim this site is a bit slewed towards atheists)

while if you start as atheist you don't change...

this shows that atheism is the most strongly biasing beleif system to be brought up in...

even if something is right, it is still biasing..

I am arguing against Sava's suggestion that atheism was the least biasing system to be brought up in

the rightness or wrongness of religion is not the intended discussion point of this thread

JM
                    One could just as easily say, "children believe their parents, until the world gives them a reason not to."

My daughter believed in Santa, until she spied us wrapping "Santa's" presents -- just like I believed Catholic doctrine, until I was old enough to judge it against my own lived experience.

The advantage atheist parents have is that, by and large, living in the world is going to confirm what they've told their children, not contradict it. That's not bias.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I voted on the poll, to help expand the data, but I came to a realization, a few months ago. I have made a determination to keep my own beliefs, whatever they may be, an utter secret, and let my actions speak for themselves.
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Re: Your beleifs.. from your parents?

Are your beleifs the same as your parents?

for ease I divided it into

Organized religion *Chriistanity, Judaism, Hinduism

Nonorganized religion *Deism, Paganism, many eastern religions as practiced by americans

Practticing and nonPracticing I think our obvious

also for interest sake, did your parents change?

Jon Miller
                        Small correction - Hinduism is not organised . There is no one central holy body .

And practising and non-practising are not obvious , at least to me . Could you please clarify ?

Comment

it is 'organized'... that was not a requirement

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

My dad an atheist, mom a believer in god ( no organized religion) - I am an atheist.

I think that is a question that can be asked about most of the things and beliefs you have - Economical perspectives, social perspectives, etc.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

My parents are agnostic, I'm roll-your-own spiritualism; buddhism/discordianism, you could say atheist since I don't believe in God. My parents never talked about religion much other than saying I'm free to make up my own mind, they might actually be unpractising, if so they certainly do a good job of unpractising.

Comment

it is 'organized'... that was not a requirement

JM
                                What , then , is your definition of organised ?

Comment

Working...
                                X