Three die playing catch with grenade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three die playing catch with grenade

BANJA LUKA, Bosnia (Reuters) - A hand grenade being used instead of a ball in a game of catch exploded early on Saturday killing three youths in this Bosnian town, police and news agencies said.

Two youths aged 19 and 20, one of them from neighboring Croatia, were killed instantly while a 20-year-old woman died on her way to hospital, police said. Her sister was slightly injured but two other youths suffered serious injuries.

The blast occurred at 2:00 a.m. in the western town of Novi Grad at a place in the town center frequented by youngsters. Police said an inquiry was under way and declined further comment. It was not clear why the grenade exploded.

ONASA news agency quoted witnesses as saying the youths tossed the hand grenade to each other before it exploded in the hands of one of them.

Bosnia is awash with illegal weapons left over from the 1992-95 war and tragic incidents are frequent despite several successful campaigns by international peacekeepers and police to get people to hand over illegal weapons.
    Not too bright

Well, these were old enough to know better.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

sorry, couldn't resist

Comment

It does seem like something from America's Funniest Videos.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

evolution in action

a to whoever remembers the source of that quote.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

bet you a billion dollars they weren't Serbs
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            It does seem like something from America's Funniest Videos.

You mean America's Most Morbid Videos
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

No, I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

You mean America's Most Morbid Videos
                for some people they are the same thing
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

http://www.darwinawards.com/ : an obvious candidate...
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Odds are alcohol was involved. If not ... hmm ... well, what's that old saying? Survival of the fittest? Ah, yes.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Those things get touchy after they get a bit old. I imagine that granade was left over from the early 90's. My team mates in Iraq had the habit of stashing granades all over the cab of our hummer. I'd be cleaning out trash and run across one which had been forgotten months ago. No one kept track of how many we had or where they went to.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Self-cleaning urine in the gene pool.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          Those things get touchy after they get a bit old. I imagine that granade was left over from the early 90's. My team mates in Iraq had the habit of stashing granades all over the cab of our hummer. I'd be cleaning out trash and run across one which had been forgotten months ago. No one kept track of how many we had or where they went to.
                          That seems a little bit cavalier.

I personally would think that it would be a good idea to keep track of where you were stashing the live ordnance.

You'd feel pretty stupid if your messiness killed one of your friends.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            bet you a billion dollars they weren't Serbs
                            I do too. If they were Serbs, they'd have thrown it at some Bosnians. [/countertroll]
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

It sounds strange they'd be 'playing catch'. I think it's more likely it was a game of dare (can you say that in English?), where they removed the pin and saw how long they'd dare to toss it around.

It's a bit like the growing problem here of youngsters standing on the tracks of an oncoming train, only to dive to one side at the last moment before impact. At least one death has resulted from this so far. Rail authorities say they have 5-10 of these incidents each month and that the number is rising. Makes the engine driver a nervous wreck each time.

People are stupid, always have been. They just find ever new ways of practicing it as time goes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X