The Death Penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    Going by your criteria, everyone at Notre Dame, Southern Methodist University, or wherever is of that faith, or even believe?

You going to a school doesn't count for much.
    You have no ****ing clue what you're talking about, Sloww.

a) It was high school. Loyola High School, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. We had 5 hours of religion class every year for 5 years. That class (and a great number of my other classes) were taught by Jesuit priests. Every last one of them was against capital punishment.

b) 94% of the attendees of that high school were raised Catholic. That was guaranteed. The school had 6% of its available slots left to non-Catholics. It was in the student handbook. I was one of those 6%, my parents having become lapsed Catholics at some point in their early adulthood.

c) None of this changes the simple statistical hypothesis that people who identify themselves as "Christian" in the United States are more likely to support the death penalty than those who don't. Hell, just take a gander at the geography of it...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

" It was high school. Loyola High School, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. We had 5 hours of religion class every year for 5 years. That class (and a great number of my other classes) were taught by Jesuit priests. Every last one of them was against capital punishment."

That right there shoots down everything you've said.
      What are laws based on? Check back when you figure it out.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What are laws based on?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

" It was high school. Loyola High School, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. We had 5 hours of religion class every year for 5 years. That class (and a great number of my other classes) were taught by Jesuit priests. Every last one of them was against capital punishment."

That right there shoots down everything you've said.
          What are laws based on? Check back when you figure it out.
          You're a ******.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Goes without saying.

Comment

Blind Lemon Jefferson, coming soon to a theater near you. Cool.
              Funny how white boys take so well to black mans music yet just a few years ago they wanted to force them all into slave labour.

Comment

Good argument. Well-said. You're schooling at Jesuit Prep did wonders.
                Laws are based on religious beliefs.

Comment

Good argument. Well-said. You're schooling at Jesuit Prep did wonders.
                  I save my arguments for those who might be able to understand them.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ditto.
                    I said at the beginning, an option for those unable to be rehabilitated.
                    You don't bother to read, so fine.
                    You don't think laws are based on religion. This much is clear.
                    What you think they're based on, I have no idea.
                    You don't bother to explain your position.
                    You'd be wrong if you did, but you could at least make the attempt.
                    You're too busy trying to slam me to do that.

It's an option. You don't get it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      You're a ******.
                      Now, now
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It's okay. That's my last comment to him on a serious subject.

No more insults, I promise.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Does capital punishment help reducing crime? If not, there is no point to it.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Does capital punishment help reducing crime? If not, there is no point to it.
                            Except keeping the consies happy so that you can push your side on more important issues.

Comment

Do you know just how, I'm going to be kind here to you and some others and just say, wrong this is?
                              If anything CHRISTIANS are more apt to not support.
                              Go gather facts or something.
                              You be kind to me? Don't make me laugh.

If you can be bothered looking, the last death penalty thread has an argument from me to this effect.

I can't be bothered writing it out again.

The facts are that the death penalty does not work to prevent or deter crime, is expensive, and has been proven to have been applied to innocent people.

If you concede the above, then you have nothing other than religious or metaphysical handwaving to support it.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

The only sort of justification for the death penalty that has any kind of logical coherence is the retributivist theory of punishment.

The problem is then that retributivism is completely silly. You can't make it work in any practical sense without either generating silly outcomes or by arbitrarily assigning the penalties to some and not others.

It's certainly true that people who have been wronged often feel like doing the same thing back to the person who did it. But this is a ridiculous and impractical basis for a justice system.

The death penalty as practiced in the US right now is basically a form of human sacrifice. Why not go the whole hog and burn people at the stake? I'm sure you'd get large crowds.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X