No announcement yet.

The Death Penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, let me try saying this a different way.
    We're not talking about rehabilitation. The death penalty is intended for those who can't be rehabilitated.
    Is it a deterrent? Does it matter? No.
    They remain a threat to society, up to and including the prison population who ARE capable of rehabilitation, whether they ever get out or not.
    To say nothing of the guards of these unable to be rehabilitated murderers.
    They have nothing to lose by attempting escape.
    They have nothing to lose by killing again to try and escape.

And Max? Your ignorance is astounding.
    How many of the South owned slaves? you won't know, because you haven't looked into it. You just babble.
    The answer is, 5% of all farming entities used slaves, either black or Native American.
    So your decision to insult 95% of a region for the actions of that 5% is just as bad as that 5%.

All that said, Urban Ranger hasn't got a hair on his ass, or a couple of you would be toast right now.
    Thanks for the equal opportunity protection.

How any of this tirade involves the death penalty eludes me.

Oh yeah. I love blues.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      We're not talking about rehabilitation. The death penalty is intended for those who can't be rehabilitated.
      How do you come to the conclusion that some people cannot be rehabilitatored?
      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
        I'm not even for punishment of crimes.
        Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

I see little use for the death penalty. I find an incongrituity between the notion that the state has the right to kill its own citizens and then the stance that this can only be done under certain special circumstances.

If the role of punishment is deter crime and to give retribution, then the death penalty is just another tool. In all honesty, massive tax evasion is far more injurious to the state than say the killing of a no-longer productive member of society in some gruesome way. Yet most American proponents of the Death penalty would blanche at tax evaders getting hung but would demand the murderer be killed. The problem is, the state punishment system is not some therapuitic system to make victim's relatives feel better-they are irrelevant, or should be. Its there to protect the system. So how does killing a killer protect the system anymore than say, imprisoning him for life? It doesn't.

In general I don't believe in giving the state the explicit right to terminate its own citizens, and therefore I am obviously not a proponent of the DP. That makes things intellectually simpler.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Let me answer my question first.
            Habitual and/or particularly gruesome.
            Not a crime of passion, where someone loses their head.

Ooops.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
              If the role of punishment is deter crime and to give retribution, then the death penalty is just another tool. In all honesty, massive tax evasion is far more injurious to the state than say the killing of a no-longer productive member of society in some gruesome way. Yet most American proponents of the Death penalty would blanche at tax evaders getting hung but would demand the murderer be killed.
              I'd support executing the big time corporate crooks (like those involved in Enron), the ones who bilked hundrends of millions of dollars from employees and shareholders.
              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

" Yet most American proponents of the Death penalty would blanche at tax evaders getting hung but would demand the murderer be killed."

This right here sums up how frivilous some view things.
                Why don't we give jaywalkers 25 years?
                After all, it's conceivable they could be struck, thus traumatizing the driver for life.

There are penalties for tax evaders. Penalties that fit the crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Does capital punishment help reducing crime? If not, there is no point to it.
                  You are missing the point

It is about punishment.

Look up the meaning of the word. It will help you better understand.

It is not about deterrent effect. As Kuci pointed out (maybe in this thread or another), Death Penalty being legal or not has really no bearing on the crime rate in America.

Although my first post was not serious, I am generally in support of the Death Penalty in principle.

It has to do with what would happen if a family member of mine (like my mom or sister) was raped and murdered. Would I want the perpetrator put to death? Absolutely.

Prison in America is not necessarily a place where a murderer will suffer. It is a place where a convicted murderer has a chance to further victimize people as well as gain access to drugs and possibly escape and hurt more people... not to mention live out possibly decades of life!!

However, I recognize that there are flaws in the American justice system. I would support reforms in the system to decrease the rate of false convictions, and in many cases, I would support death penalty moratoriums if there was evidence where innocent people where being locked up and senctenced to death.

But, when it boils down to it, I believe that the Death Penalty is a correct policy to have and that some crimes do warrant it as a punishment.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Stop smoking Sava
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

NEVAR!

actually, I planted my next batch 2 days ago...

I am trying a new strain... "Misty"... they grow shorter, but faster flowering period, and about the same potency as the White Widows I have been growing...

[/end threadjack]
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ok, let me try saying this a different way.
                        Is it a deterrent? Does it matter? No.
                        They remain a threat to society, up to and including the prison population who ARE capable of rehabilitation, whether they ever get out or not.
                        To say nothing of the guards of these unable to be rehabilitated murderers.
                        They have nothing to lose by attempting escape.
                        They have nothing to lose by killing again to try and escape.
                        None of this constitutes an argument for the death penalty.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          our justice system should be more like JUDGE DREDD, where if you commit a crime you are just shot in the head right there...

you kill someone and are caught red handed, BANG, you are executed right there

sentence... death

There'd be a lot more dead cops. If you were a criminal who would be summarily executed why surrender? Better to try to shoot your way out or at least go down fighting.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Death Thread part 3125 with my 3125th reiteration of my opinion that I expressed in the previous 3124 threads on the death penalty:

I am opposed all forms of death penalty.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Let me answer my question first.
                              Habitual and/or particularly gruesome.
                              Not a crime of passion, where someone loses their head.
                              Sorry. Was this meant as an answer to my question?

Are you saying that someone who has repeated a particular behaviour can never change or be induced to change that behaviour?

If so, what makes you believe that?

Comment

Vengeance is mine, not Sava's, sayeth the lord
                                Lime roots and treachery!
                                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Working...
                                X